Silver Fur

Thank Shelha the twins had a directional instinct. It was late afternoon by the time the trio (they had never regained Silversand) emerged into the main hall, laughing, falling about and bumping into each other.

"And then Taz says, 'Hey, guys, I think there's water in here,' and the next thing we hear ..." Sethral and Fletch were almost crying and had to lean against each other for support. "Is a splash ..."

Taz sniffed and strode ahead, his wet fur spiked. Sethral imitated the splash, and she and Fletch slid to the floor.

"Stop it, I can't breathe!" cried the Rocklander.

Taz tried to feign aloofness but could not hold it for long. "And then let's not forget the 'spider' in the back room," he said with a sly grin. "You know, the one that dropped into hoppy here's wings? I don't think I've ever seen a creature try to backpedal from their own body so fast."

Sethral snatched a piece of grass and tore after him, threatening to dump it in his fur in the dark to see how he reacted. Taz fled, making gleeful war whoops.

The twins had not been able to decide on a room and so had elected to sleep in every candidate until they found the one they liked best. While they debated where to start, Sethral looked about the hall. She could smell Silversand—and there was stray grass on the floor—but the most recent scent was from some time ago. She recalled what the twins had said about Jay.

"Do you think we should check on Silversand?" she said, interrupting a comparison of moss and sand. The twins exchanged a glance.

"Might not be a bad idea," said Fletch.

They retraced their steps to Jay's room. Fletch put his tailtip to his lips as they approached the door, then flicked something. Taz retreated to the shadow of the wall and sat. Sethral, not sure what the flick had said, stayed with him. Before long, Fletch came sneaking back. He flicked something else. Sethral waved an ambiguous paw at his tail and looked disgruntled. He cocked his head. She pointed back towards the hall.

"You don't know tail-talk?" said Fletch as soon as they were back in the hall.

"I thought all clan group Saggitayrii learned it," said Taz. "Or are you not from the clan groups? I kind of assumed you were."

A portion of Sethral's clan made up the clan groups, organized entities with cultures of their own and a reputation for education. They were probably the most respected category of creature in South Shelha.

"I am," said Sethral. "Nova, the big one. But I ran away before I got taught. I would have started classes within a season, I think, but back then I didn't want classes any more than I wanted frogs in my fur. I know a word or two, but not enough to communicate."

"Do you want to learn it now?" said Taz.

"I might just, especially if Jay's a mute and all. If we're going to stick together, it might not be a bad idea."

They all found themselves looking at each other.

"Don't shut up on me," said Sethral. "I know we've all been thinking the same thing."

"Yeah," said Taz with a sigh. "We can't really deny it. We had this conversation while you were making your bed." He nudged Fletch, who looked at the floor.

"I thought we were being selfish for even thinking about it."

"It's not so selfish if it's Winter who'd suffer for it," said Sethral. "We three at least all want to watch her, now that she's acting strange, and I know another creature who does too. We could form a band. A renegade alliance. Goodness knows, we could probably accomplish more together than each of us could on our own."