Oreos; Priority No.1

"She probably knows we're trying to get out, if she bothers to check the footage."

"So we better get the hell out of here?"    

"Language, but yes."

"I'll watch my goddamn language when you become my goddamn boss." I muttered. The I froze. Did I just say that? To the Kace?

I looked up to his face, but he didn't look mad. He looked amused.

"Sure thing, shortie."

"I'm not-" I took a deep breath in. "Never mind. How do we get out of here."

He walked up to the door, trying the handle. When he couldn't open it, he examined the lock.

"Nope." He sighed to himself, and then went back to examining the walls.

"You think there's a reason she keeps the outer walls so dark?" Kace asked suddenly.

"To hide the door and the cameras, maybe?" I shrugged.

"Yeah, but cameras are pretty small and easy to miss, and we can't get out the door anyways." He responded. He started knocking on the wall, and and it sounded just as I expected. Annoying.

"What are you doing?" I asked, putting my hands over my ears.

"Sorry, but-" Just as Kace was about to explain himself, he hit something else. The wood was thinner, less sturdy. "Did you hear that?"

"Of course." I nodded. He took a step back, then kicked the wall as hard as he could. The wood cracked, revealing another adjoining room.

Kace turned back to me and smiled. "She probably didn't want us to see where the doorway had been covered up."

"Or spend extra money on new lightbulbs." I muttered, but I walked with him into the new room.

The room looked like it had originally been dark and damp, but it looked like a millionaire had come in and redecorated.

There was a flatscreen TV in front of a comfortable looking couch on a rug, and behind it, a small kitchen area with a fridge, cabinets, and sink.

Kace went to the door to see if it was locked. I, however, had my priorities straight.

"You think they have any Oreo's in here?" I questioned, opening the cabinets.

"Concentrate, short guy." Kace muttered. "Hey look, this doors unlocked!"

"Score!" I shouted, ignoring Kace as I pulled out a bag of Oreo's.

"Aren't we supposed to be escaping?" He complained, glancing over. "Holy heck, are those double stuff?"

"No, sorry, we're supposed to be escaping." I sighed, putting them down. "Let's just leave them here to the mercy of whatever villain."

"I hate you." He muttered. "Grab the freaking Oreos."

"Thank you!" I smirked, grabbing the bag. "And for the record, they are double stuff."

Kace opened the door, and thankfully, no one was there. It was just a hallway.

As we stepped out, we caught sight of the metal door that had previously contained us.

"Which way?" Kace whispered.

"Where do you want to go?" I questioned. "Should we escape or take our chances fighting her?"

Kace thought for a moment. "She's obviously good with the whole kid napping thing, so what's to say she won't get us again? And anyways, there's two of us, right?"

"If you say so." I closed my eyes.

The loudest sound was Kace's breathing and heartbeat, both of which were just a few feet away. I tried to think of him not as a super hot and straight basketball player, but a super hot and straight crime fighting badass.

It didn't help.

There were a few other distinct sounds. Not to far to our left was what sounded like a mouse. The dripping of water was close. But most importantly was the faint sound of a heartbeat, barely audible. It took a few moments of concentration to hear wear it was coming from.

"Left." I finally spoke, opening my eyes. "Watch out for mice."

"What?"

Not paying attention, I marched forward, paying very close attention to every creak and stutter and heartbeat. There were more security cameras in the hallway, but there was no point in breaking them if the girl already knew we were coming.

Kace's heartbeat was quickening behind me.

Finally I approached a closed door, where the heartbeat and sound of breathing was loudest. I turned to Kace.

"Behind here." I mouthed. Kate took a deep breath, nodding. I reached for my waistline, wishing my knives were still by my side. All that was there was my pack of Oreos, tucked into the waist of my pants for safety.

Regardless of what weapons i did or didn't have, I kicked open the door.

Again, the building was probably some abandoned warehouse. But whoever this woman was, she had to be pretty rich. The room was set up with a bunch of security camera monitors, with a couch in front of them.

And who was sitting on the couch? You know, I think you'll only need one guess.

The woman looked up at us. "You can go." She said nonchalantly.

Kate and I looked at each other confused. "What?"

"I changed my mind." She shrugged. "Look around. I don't need the money. Your stuff is on the table."

"What the hell is this about?" I asked, taking a step towards her. She had been watching all of the cameras, and she wasn't mad that we broke her camera or the walls. Not to mention that she was letting us go.

The woman stood up, and I realized that she couldn't be more than twenty five years old. I felt a twinge of pity for someone so young being caught up in a villain scheme.

She walked up until she was only inches from me. I wanted to step back, but I stayed in my place.

She leaned in to close to me and whispered something in my ear.

"You two would make an awesome couple."

I jerked back, more surprised than if she had slapped me. Kace grabbed my arm, as if he was trying to protect me.

Between his touch and her words, I could barely concentrate.

"I'm more interested in how things turn out." She explained, smirking. "I'm good at reading people. You can stick together or not, but I have my predictions. Now, the door is right there. See you later."

I grabbed my knives, mask, and surprisingly, my cheap jacket, and quickly hurried out the door. Kate hurried after me, grabbing his stuff.

The day was clear, and it turns out I was right about the warehouse thing. I pulled on my jacket to cover my wings.

Kace grabbed my shoulder.

"What did she say?" He asked, concerned. I gave a nervous smile.

"Nothing, she's just trying to trick me." I laughed. "We should head back to school. And hey, I got to keep the Oreos!"

I tried to turn around and walk away from him, but his grip was tight.

"Good job back there." He grinned. "Maybe we should work together sometime, you know?"

I really hoped he couldn't see how red my face was.