Chapter 34: Zagan's Return

Start from the beginning

You: "Perhaps, but I chose to have that done, you forced me too. And you did it wrong, it was your injection that made me sick, she did it right, and she saved me from what you did to me."

Zagan: "She tried to kill you!" I feel my temper growing short, I know he's playing dumb with me. And I don't have the energy to talk and fight.

You: "No, you took her son, and told her the only way to get him back was to kill me and the avatar... You were behind all of this." I see a shocked expression on his face, which quickly turns into a snarl.

Zagan: "Fine, you want to die! Then So Be It!" He charges at me, I slip under the first swing of his claws and send a wave of fire at him, it sends him flying back across the street. I turn back to the woman and her kid.

You: "Go, now." The woman nods and runs off with her son. I hear Zagan grunt, I turn to see him walking out of the destroyed storefront.

Zagan: "You've just made a big mistake..." We continue to fight, back and forth, each of us landing large blows to the other. I could see he was wearing down, but I was completely gassed. For the last 5 minutes, I've been running on fumes. And I knew he could see that. "Are you tiring Wolverine? Your breathing has become very raspy and deep. I told you, you can't win." He's right, I can't beat him. But there has to be a way to at least stop him for now. Come on M/N! Think! I can't kill him, he can just heal himself, I know I can't reason with him...

Gaea: 'How have people beaten you when they are not as strong?' I hear Gaea's voice say. They... they captured me! That's it! He may be strong, but he has limits. I look around for anything that I could use to restrain him. I see a small weapons store down the street. I focus and feel there are a few weapons remaining in there. I am broken from my thought when I hear something behind me, but am too late. I feel them sink into my ribcage.

Zagan: "You are pathetic... I made you to be an unrivaled power, but you've grown weak. Your father would be ashamed of what you've become." What?! How dare he mention anyone in my family! I hold my hand out and begin to bend the metal towards me. I feel him twist his claws, probably breaking my ribs. The hell Rue? Indestructible my ass. But I see a handful of metal fragments flying towards us. I create a heatwave around my body, blowing him back. I turn around and send the metal towards him, I wrap it around his wrists and ankles, then wrap it around his mouth so he couldn't airbend at us.

Zagan: "MMffhm!" I see his eyes narrow at me. I fall to my knees clutching my ribs. A few minutes later I see Tonraq and some other warriors appear around the corner. I feel my vision begin to fade.

Gaea: 'Rest, young warrior.' I hear Gaea's voice say. Everything goes black.

Korra POV

My dad and a few warriors run off after everything goes quiet. The few minutes they were gone felt like hours to me, but, I finally see them come back into view. I see Zagan chained up, and M/N... Being basically carried in by two soldiers. He has blood stains leading from his mouth down onto his shirt. They carry him into the healing tub and set him down, I follow Katara in. She begins working, healing small cuts and bruises around his body, then removes his shirt... And I see it, his chest, it looked like a mountain range, there were large bumps and bulges everywhere. I look up to Katara and see her face ridden with concern.

Korra: "Wha-what's it from?" I say pointing towards his chest.

Katara: "I believe, those are his ribs." I feel the air leave me. What? How could they be his ribs?

Korra: "What? How?" I ask her.

Katara: "Whoever he was fighting... they knew his limits, they knew his weak points, I need some time alone to try and heal him." I nod and walk out.

*TIMESKIP*

Korra POV

What felt like hours later, Katara finally walks out. My parents, Kya, Sky, Rue, and myself were all waiting, waiting for what she was going to say.

Katara: "This man, Zagan, he inflicted a severe amount of damage, that, along with M/N not being at full strength, he could heal himself, but I am afraid he won't wake up in time to do so... I tried, I did everything I could... I'm sorry..." No, oh no please don't tell me... "M/N is going to die..." It hits me so hard I don't even know how to react. I just sit there, in this god forsaken wheelchair. I close my eyes and feel the tears begin to roll down my cheeks. No, no, why him, why did you take him? I just sit there feeling, empty, like I had just lost a part of me.

*TIMESKIP*

Korra POV

I couldn't sleep, I just lay there, staring at the moon outside my window. 'Go.' I hear Raava's voice say.

Korra: "What? Go where?"

Raava: 'To him... Someone is here, to help him, but they need your help.' I get out of bed and limp over to the wheelchair then head out to where M/N is, but when I get there...

Korra: "He's still just lying there... Nothing's changed..." I say hanging my head.

Raava: 'Show what he means to you...' I slide out of the wheelchair and sit at the end of the tub, my legs dipping into the water. I run my hand through his hair, I lean down, and our lips touch ever so slightly. I pull back when something flashes. I open my eyes... And see his eyes glowing, except this, this is different, they have a blueish tint to them. I see the water begin to glow, then there's a flash of light. When I open my eyes again I see M/N laying in the tub, and the spirit of a young girl standing on the other side of the it.

Korra: "Wh-who are you?" I ask her. She just giggles.

???: "Don't you see the resemblance? You've seen me before." I look at her for a second... No way...

Korra: "Y-you're the girl from M/N's locket?" I say, although it sounds like a question. She nods, giggling again.

???: "Do you remember my name?" She asks playfully.

Korra: "Laura... The other Dual Bender..." I say. She laughs again but nods.

Laura: "Take care of him for me... He puts a lot on himself, he feels responsible for his own family's death. Tell him I was here, and that I said we don't blame him." I nod, she waves goodbye and fades away. As soon as she does I see M/N begin to stir, he blinks his eyes a few times then opens them. I slide into the tub next to him.

You: "Wha? Where am I?" I see his eyes widen a bit. "Am I Dead?!" He asks me uneasily. I shake my head, yet he still seems confused.

Korra: "Is something wrong?" I ask him.

You: "I-I don't feel any pain... anywhere... It's just strange, that's all." I nod, I see his eyes begin to close again. I do the same as I feel his arm wrap around me. 'Thank You.' I say to her. I hear her laugh again. 'He's my brother, he's family, I'd do anything for him. Just like he'd do anything for you.'