Chapter 1: Amelia

Start from the beginning

  ‘I am not this person’s babysitter Mum. I made myself popular without anyone else’s help. I am sure this boy can manage school without being popular,’ I argued.

   ‘You are going to make friends with him and that is final,’ Mum declared. She knew she had won the argument as she had risen from my bed to go downstairs. ‘Now, go change and eat your breakfast, I don’t want you to be late for school.’

   ‘Whatever,’ I muttered gently, with a touch of anguish sprinkled on every word I said.

   Mum had closed the door when she left. I remembered that I hadn’t checked my phone these past few days as I had put it on silence because of the constant messages I had received from Jake and Jessica. I searched in my cabinet for my phone; it was at the back of the cabinet where I had first left it.

   When I reached for it, a box in front of my phone dropped onto the floor. It looked like a normal yet familiar large tin. I opened to see what was inside but it was nothing but memories, hurtful memories.

   There were pictures of me from two years back with Jake, Jessica, Louise, Ryan and Liam. I was trying out for cheer-leading with Jessica and Louise. Jessica was going out with Ryan and Louise was with Liam. We were all dating but I had figured me and Jake’s relationship was more realistic than the others. I thought that we had understood each other perfectly because we were so in love. I loved him. He never loved me.

   I knew I should not have opened that tin. It was a bad decision. In my heart I knew what was inside it, yet I still opened it. I wiped the tears off my cheek. He is gone now, I do not need him. What he did to me was unforgivable so I shouldn’t have kept thinking about him, but why couldn’t I?

   I had come downstairs to find Mum, Lily and Sophie gone. She probably dropped them off to school. I had left to go to school in my stunning new car. Dad, who divorced Mum months ago, bought me this car a few weeks back because he thought I was depressed. Maybe being in this state could get me a lot of things, but I wouldn't take advantage of it because I wasn't that type of person.

   The only things which I dreaded for today were seeing Jessica and Jake.  The other worst thing I had to do was babysit the new person in school.

   When I had arrived at school everyone treated me the same as I was before, popular. There were the same “hi and bye” from the same people. Nothing really changed. I was about to enter school when I bumped into someone, it was Jessica.

   ‘Hi Amelia,’ she said awkwardly.     

   ‘Hi,’ I replied unaffectedly.            

   ‘Listen, I feel horrible, absolutely horrible about what I did to you. I’ve tried to call you many times but you put me through voice mail,’ she explicated.

   ‘Well how would you feel if you told your best friend that your boyfriend cheated on you and then she just says “so, it happens all the time get over yourself you’re not that special”?’ I asked defensively.

   ‘When you put it like that-’

   ‘No, what you did was wrong and I would forgive you but I can’t. I realised that some friends aren’t what they seem. I just don’t see myself hanging out with you in a decade,’ I replied truthfully.     

   ‘I think you are exaggerating. I already told you I am sorry,’ she expressed as she defended herself.

   ‘And I already told you no,’ I stated evidently.

   ‘Well then,’ she scoffed sarcastically, 'I’ll see you around.’

   After she left, I put my hand on my head because I was an idiot. I overreacted and now she had    probably already told the rest of the gang on how I exaggerated things. When I was about to have walked into the building, someone behind me said something.