I’m sorry, are you saying it’s wrong to be a feminist?

No, of course not. Hell no, I was even one myself before I met my husband. But what are the cores of feminism anyway? Equality right? They want equal share of power with men. And why that might be reasonable in some places and aspects of life, in marriage – it simply isn’t. Because, there can’t be two heads of a family. The moment the women out there realize that, then perhaps our community as a whole will become a better place.

I’m sorry, Mrs. Tijani but I’m going to ask you to elaborate again.

No problem. There simply can’t be two heads in a marriage. Let’s analyze this closely. It’s just like a work-place, there are workers and there are ranks. And there are bosses, but there can’t be two bosses at the same time. You’re gonna have to acknowledge that certain things will never change, it’s been that way from the start. Try to change it, and it’d blow up in your place. What women should ask for is respect, not equality. Any man willing to hand over his duties to a woman is chicken, in fact you should run away from such man. There is a reason why such thing is shouldered on them. But the thing these feminists don’t know, is that everyone can rule in some way.

The men are the figure-heads, they are the titled heads but that doesn’t mean the woman can’t have her way. I know any man would do anything to please his wife, who is being decent, submissive and well-natured. Every woman has a lock on the home, every great woman has a lock on the man’s heart. So tell me, if you have a lock on power – doesn’t it mean you’re power itself? But no, you just want the self-proclaimed title and you ruin everything. That’s wrong

Moving on, if you’re a so called feminist then why do you need a man to dominate over you anyway? After all your mission is about eradicating them from the top, why the hell are you going to get married in the first place. Don’t jump into fire and complain you’re getting burned, it’s fire. What do you expect from it, chills? If you want to have a successful marriage, you have to be a woman.

The sooner you realize that, the better. Forget about the numerous certificates and diplomas you’re acquiring and piling up. It’s great to be career oriented, I’m career oriented but when it comes to success in marriage – then you might as well be a high-school drop-out. Forgive me for being blunt, but it’s just the truth. Take it as you see it.

If you can’t cook, you’re not hospitable, you don’t have feminine skills, and you’re void of everything a woman needs, lacking everything that defines a wife and in your mind – you’re nursing up a notion that it’s the new age, and y’all could adapt in some way. Then you’re only kidding yourself. If you don’t know how to be submissive, how to make family top priority over any other thing, and make your home – your life, then it just can’t be as gold as someone who does everything in the adequate manner.

I’d keep saying it wherever I go, marriage isn’t mandatory. You see it requires a lot of qualities, that females of this age are not ready to imbibe, learn and exhibit. You all know yourselves better than anyone, you know your faults.

Oh, Tonia is such a dumbass. Like, she is so old and vintage and boring and unachieved in school. I wouldn’t wanna be her. Chances are, she has higher chances of having a fulfilled marriage than yours who obviously wants to rise to heights men do. Which is not wrong, because you’re not living your life to please anyone. It’s yours, and its your choice to do whatever you want with it. And that’s why it’s your decision to pick which is more important. Marriage, career or any other thing that got your mind racing.

Ma’am I believe you’ve said more than enough–

Don’t go into it, I repeat don’t go into it if you’re not ready to be whatever it requires. It’s going to be a total waste of time for you. Time that you could use to achieve whatever it is you deem more important than it, but don’t kid yourself into believing you can have your way around with it. Equality in marriage will never work, what you should do is ask for respect.

Ma’am

It’s never too late, if you’re not all these. There is still time. Take culinary classes, meet with couples around you, research, do your home-work, become the person you need to be and if eventually it crashes out – you’d know it wasn’t your fault and maybe it was something beyond that. Marriage is one heck of a ride with turbulent waves, believe me you don’t want to add unfeminine characteristics to the mix. It’d explode in your face and–

“Yeah, it will explode in your face like that.” Dayo cut his wife off, shaking his head in a disapproving manner. “That is not going to go down well in paper, Tiolu. You’re gonna have to be less confrontational.”

“But it’s the truth–”

“People can’t handle the truth.” He shoved the paper hard unto the desk demarcating them, as he raked his hair with his right hand. “You’re gonna have to–”

“Mummy?”

A high-pitched groan came from behind, and forced him to turn his head around in the direction where his wife before him, had her eyes fixated on.

“Yeah, darling?” He could sense his wife’s displeasured state. She was bound to vent her anger on the kid.

“Dapo won’t let me have ice-cream.” His four-year old daughter pouted her lips, and folded her arms – remaining static.

“Since when did Dapo dictate who and who can have ice-cream,” Dayo’s brows furrowed.

“Dictate? Oh, he knows he can’t tell me what to do.” Her monotone grew more confrontational. “He just grabbed the pack and threw it up the shelf to where my hand can’t reach. Apparently, he is using his height to bully.”

“Listen, Timilehin.” Tiolu cradled her head in her hands. “Your dad and I are really busy now, I sorta have this big interview coming up – so please, just give us a few minutes and we’d be down, okay? And you should stop being so bossy with him. He is your twin brother after all, you’re not his elder sister. Perhaps, he would feel less inclined to annoy you, if you didn’t order him around so much.”

“You’ve seen him play, he doesn’t play nice!” Timi face-palmed.

“Just ten minutes, darling.” Dayo repeated. “We’d be down with you guys in a few.”

Timi’s shoulders slumped. “Fine, but no one should scold me for hitting him over the head.” She announced before hobbling off.

Dayo watched in amusement, as his daughter walked out of the room. “She is so much like you, Tiolu. Just too much.”

“Well, apparently too much of myself is what is killing this.” She grunted, bringing her head down hard on the table. “We’re not heading anywhere.”

She was right.

Rising to his feet, he walked across to her and brought his hands down on her shoulders gently to massage it. “You can’t forfeit this, the whole world needs to hear this. So, we’re just gonna have to take this from the top. And lock that door also, to ensure neither Dapo nor Timi come barging through it.”

Fine,” Tiolu groaned, raising her head up from the desk just as he released her. “Let’s do this then.”

Sinking back into his seat, he gave the green-light.

Welcome once again, to yet another edition of Square TV’s – unveil the hero. Our guest here today needs no elaborate introduction...

-----------------------------------------------------

Tap that star, drop a comment and don’t forget to read the brief Author’s note. Thank you!