Chapter 10

Chapter 10

We pulled into a parking lot. I looked around and I found a sign. It read: Redwood National Park.

"Dillon?" I said while breaking the silence, "what are we doing here so late?"

I looked at my watch.

"It's 9:30."

"You'll see." He said. "Here," he continued. "I need you to wear this."

He gave me a blindfold.

"Dillon......?"

"Just trust me."

He spun me around and tied it on my face.

I heard him scramble for something in the car and he grabbed my hand and we began to walk.

I stumbled a few times. I could feel every bump, crack, and creator in the earth.

"Dillon where are we going?"

"We are almost there. Just a little longer."

Finally we stopped.

"Can I take it off?"

"Not yet."

I stood there and waited for what seemed like forever.

"Dillon?" I called out.

There was no answer. Did he seriously leave me in a dark park? Alone?!

I began to take off the blindfold.

"Dillon did you........." I couldn't believe what I saw! I could feel my jaw hit the ground.

Dillon was dressed in a tux. He sat on a picnic blanket with a glass of champaign in his right hand. We were right in the middle of the park.

"Come here and sit for a while." He said.

"What's this about?" I asked.

He patted the blanket to show where he wanted me to sit, so I did.

He took a deep breath. "The reason why I'm so rude all the time is because.... my father was always rude to me. My mother died when I was a kid, and I was never there for her. my father took me away from her telling me I wouldn't understand. I never knew why. He never told me he loved me. Made me believe that I was the one who......"

"Believe what?" I asked.

"I.... killed her....."

"Who .......you're mom?"

He nodded.

"How....... why....?" I asked while rubbing his arm.

"I don't know."

"How did she die?"

"She had Leukemia."

"Dillon, you didn't kill her.... Is your father still alive? Do you still visit him?"

"No he died in a train accident."

"Dillon I'm so sorry."

Tears were in his eyes. "If I ever hurt you...." he continued, "I'm so sorry. I guess I turned crabby from living alone."

I shook my head. "It's fine."

We both stood. Tears were still in his eyes.

"Come here." I said while holding out my arms. He shook his head.

"Have you ever cried before?" I asked.

He shook his head. I put my arms around his neck.

"It's okay to cry."

I could feel him holding back his tears.

I began to rub his back, and he broke down. After about 5 minutes he looked up. His eyes were puffy, his face was red. He smiled at me.

"What?" I asked.

"Alex...." he said while grabbing my hands. "you mean a lot to me. And I loved spending these last few weeks with you. I know I can be a asshole but, in spite of all that I was wondering if......"

He got down on one knee.

"Will you be my real wife?"

He pulled out a small red box. When he opened it there was a blinding silver engagement ring. I was shocked. I never thought he would fall in LOVE with me.

"Uhh...... I..." I stuttered.

"You don't like it do you?" He asked. "I'm sorry it was too soon." He said while running off.

"Dillon!" I yelled into his direction, but it was to late he disappeared in the darkness.