Chapter 3 ~Karter~

The Color Green

Chapter Three- Karter

Oh, of course. Same ol' Niall. always opening my door before I even had a chance to invite him in. It wasn't a problem before- you know, when we were best friends. But, it's really fraying my every last nerve right about now.  Who does he think he is?

"Uhm, rude much?" I muttered icily while standing up and walking towards him.

"What do you mean?" The confusion was clear in his voice and expression- he was clearly thinking, that after all of this time with no connection or friendship what-so-ever, he could just walk on in like old times.  I had some news for him, though- it wasn't gonna be happening.

"Well," I started when I was standing directly in front of him, eyes locked on his in what I hoped was an intense stare.  He looked uncomfortable, so I must have been doing a decent job.  I put my hands on my hips and did an annoyed-lean-to-the-side, "there's this new thing called knocking. You should try it out some time.  I heard it's on the rage in all civilized places!"

His eyes narrowed for a short time before they lit back up like a child's on Christmas morning.  "So, Karty, I see you still have your sarcasm and sense of humor.  Though, I was never on the receiving end, so this is new,"  He replied, smiling like a fool.  What was this boy on?

"Well, since you tried something new by ditching me, I figured I might as well branch out too," I snapped with a sickly sweet smile on my face.  I tilted my head to the side and acted as innocent as possible while calling him out for everything he put me through. "I mean, you really succeeded in your attempt to hurt me as much as possible and completely weed me out of your life!  I only hope I can live up to the expectations..."

"Karty-"

"Don't you dare call me that," I hissed, getting up in his face.  I jabbed a finger into his chest while saying, "You have no right to act as if we're still best buds.  You lost that privilege when you decided keeping contact didn't matter."

"Karter Summers, you don't have a clue what it's like being me," He stated, sobering up from his overly cheery attitude.

"Oh, let me guess!" I chirped, putting up the cute, happy face again. "You're soooooo busy day-to-day with interviews and recordings and performances.  You have sooooo many girls to choose from, so many girls wrapped around your fingers, so many girls willing to do anything to meet the infamous Niall Horan from One Direction.  You had all this fame, fortune, and fun, that it totally skipped your mind that you made a promise the day you went into the X-Factor!" I smacked the side of my head as if I'd forgotten something, then suddenly remembered.  "Silly me, of course I understand!"

He stood still, his jaw clenched, eyes darkening with anger. "Karter, I never forgot you."

"Bull.  What a line of freaking bull!  You have the nerves to lie to my face!  I cannot believe this!"

"It's true."

"Whatever.  Say whatever lies you have swarming in your head, making it all right to leave me in the deep end like that," I choked out.  "I'm tired of hanging onto what used to be.  You forgot me, so it's high time I forget you.  I already have someone that is there for me.  And this time, I won't be abandoned. She knows what it's like."

He shook his head in disbelief.  "Sure thing, Karter.  You can have all the friends you want, but they'll never live up.  Is this friend really as good as me?"

"No."

He smiled smugly.

"She's better."

Then, I did something I'd wanted to do for a long time- I slammed the door shut in Niall Horan's face.  For a second, it felt great.  And then the reality of what just happened set in.  I'd just seen my former best friend for the first time in years.  I'd yelled at him and took out all of my pent up anger on him. 

And, finally, I'd confronted him about what he did.

It didn't feel as refreshing as I expected. 

I glanced over at my clock to see that it was 9:50 P.M.  A suitable time to sleep, I guess.  I changed into some cheer shorts and a tank top before crawling into my warm bed.  As soon as my lights were off and I settled in, the tears started flowing.  I didn't notice at first, but then I felt my pillow becoming quickly wet.

After a couple of minutes, they turned into tearless sniffles and coughs, until I finally drifted off.

When I woke up, it wasn't to my alarm clock.  No, this was completely different.

It was the voice of Niall Horan, accompanied by a guitar.  I recognised the song from their album Up All Night- it was One Thing.  I felt a weight causing my bed to dip slightly, but I refused to actually open my eyes or hint that I was awake.

I simply enjoyed his voice- his real voice, not auto tuned or distorted by screaming fans or bad speakers.  It was wonderful.  I felt like we were still the best of friends, just hanging in my room.  He ended the song beautifully on the last note, making me wish for more.  Instead, I just lay there, acting as if I was lost to the world.

"I miss you, Karty," I heard him whisper, then a hand on my hair.  I struggled to breathe.

He moved from my bed.  I heard him walk away, opening my door and closing it again, ever so softly.  "I miss you too, Niall," I murmured sadly, as soon as I was sure he was gone.

I hopped out of bed reluctantly, walking into my bathroom.  The sight that greeted me was not pretty.  My hair was a rat's nest, my eyes puffy and bloodshot.  And Niall had seen me like this earlier.  I groaned loudly before pulling a brush through my tangled mess of hair.  It took a while, but it finally settled down.  After that, I splashed some ice cold water on my face.

Returning to my bedroom, I felt like I was completely forgetting something.  Something important.  I think it had to do with Jordyn...

"Crap!" I shouted aloud, before running around my room, gathering up my wallet and keys.  I sprinted downstairs, ignoring the questions thrown at me.  I hopped in my car, praying taking her to get pizza and a frozen coke would make up for this.

I'd completely forgotten to pick Jordyn up from her dance class.

***Briana Lynn Marcosson, I am going to kick your butt. Just saying.

So, lovely fans, you can thank Briana's bestie and co-author, Kaija Aikman A.K.A wildheart24 for the majority of this chappie. Hold the applause... just kidding, keep it coming:)

Next chap is Jordyn's POV.

Teaser: What will Jordyn's reaction be?