XIX. Arcane and Arcadian

Start from the beginning

Frei gulped, cold sweat trailing down his skin. Everything about the structure screamed ill news, but at the same time, his curiosity made him drawn to it. He focused on his magia again, trying to penetrate through whatever veil was keeping his light from piercing through. It felt like stretching a limb, or pinching his skin but with greater strain.

He began channeling his energy through the vines beneath his feet, but when he did, he felt some kind of resistance, like he was prodding on a thin sheet of skin or membrane. He pushed again, and the resistance became like a stone wall, far from unyielding. Frei gave up, reeling his magia back in, surprised that he felt more exhausted than he would have liked.

"That's weird," Lucca murmured, cupping his chin with thumb and finger. "I'm sure this isn't the way to Morgan's."

Frei clasped the pendant on his neck, observing the light pulsing at its center. "Well, the jewel's glowing brighter than ever. It means there's another key close by."

"We can't go there!" Lucca exclaimed, his violet eyes wide and fearful. "Mother said it is a witch's burial site!"

Frei raised a brow. "Are you afraid?"

"No!" Lucca replied, sounding indignant as he placed his hands on his hips. "But you should be! Witches' graves are cursed, and you'll most likely end up dead before you can get out."

Frei pursed his lips in amusement.

"What's with that look?" Lucca challenged.

"You are afraid," the prince said cheekily.

"Are not!"

"Are to."

"Are not!"

"Are to-"

The sound of a thousand chirping birds interrupted their squabble as flocks of different winged creatures flew out of the shadows before them. Most looked like harpies: creatures that bore a beautiful woman's likeness save the talons on her hands and feet and the wings on her back. A considerable number appeared more horrifying, as their limbs stretched out like misshapen tentacles and their chests were cut open to display green, gooey organs that resembled beating human hearts. The rest were like a cross between bats and cats, flying in a synchronized vortex of smoke and shadow. Despite their physical differences, they all shared two things: flight and fright, a combination that could scare a grown man out of his wits.

Lucca and Frei exchanged a brief glance and mouthed the word, "Run."

But before they could flee, a tall, cloaked presence blocked their path. It was a man, with skin as dark as the evening sky, and eyes that sparkled so bright they shone like stars. A crown of silver twigs and leaves rested upon his head, blending its colors with the hair that billowed through the winds beneath it. He was dressed in robes embellished with onyx and sapphire stones, his cloaks cascading to the ground like dark waterfalls. His wings resembled that of a dragon's: bat-like and fanged, stretching towards the sky like the devil's hands.

His long arms stretched sideways, fingers spread, then he brought his arms together and produced a loud and thunderous clap!

An invisible wave of magia swept past Frei and Lucca, casting away the night creatures about to pursue them. The monsters retreated back to the shadows in a chorus of shrieks and cackles. The wave left behind a forest-like scent, a cross between rain and earth that made Frei feel lethargic.

Frei marveled at what he saw. The effect was just as sudden as the man's fortunate appearance. He was about to express grattitude when the man's sour expression halted him in his tracks.