Chapter 2: White Day

March 14/White Day, Raijin High School

It had been about a month since Alkanet and Rynn had started going to Raijin High School and neither of the two had exactly gone unnoticed. Alkanet had gotten in trouble numerous times for destruction to school property and inflicting harm upon other students due to her lack of emotional control, yet she'd never gotten anything worse than detention. By all accounts, she should have been long since expelled, but her perfect grades kept her in school and out of even suspension. As for Rynn, she'd gotten in trouble a few times for misdemeanours in conduct, often cussing and talking condescendingly to teachers. Despite being the worse personality of the two, Rynn got less detentions than Alkanet and liked to tease her friend for it. Rynn also somehow avoided ever getting in trouble for her pranks despite quite a few of the students knowing she'd been behind them.

Rynn dragged Alkanet along with a sly smirk on her face. The pale girl just allowed herself to be pulled by her friend, headed toward the boys' shoeboxes.

"Kitsune-chan, why are we headed this way?" Alkanet asked, not really caring to know the answer.

"I'm bored. And you wanna see, Shizu-chan, don't you? It's obvious to me that you like him, so don't try to deny it," Rynn cooed. Instantly, the pale girl knew exactly what this was about and made a face that normally would have marred one's appearance.

"Kitsune-chan, you aren't trying to set me up, are you? I told you many times already, I don't need a boyfriend nor do I want one," she said sulkily, a light blush having tinted her usually pale cheeks.

"Ah, don't be that way. Besides, your reactions to things are much more amusing than any of the human girls' here," Rynn laughed, not having noticed Alkanet's blushing due to not looking at her at that moment. If she had noticed, Rynn would not have hesitated in the slightest to tease her best friend.

"Anyway, I'm guessing it's a prank by those senpais who don't seem to like you very much - that or some sort of punishment game among girls. Speaking of which, I thought slipping love letters in shoeboxes was out of fashion these days to begin w-" the two girls heard a familiar male's voice saying when he suddenly stopped midsentence.

"It's not that old fashioned, and what's with the weird face? Someone slip a rotting sushi in your shoebox or somethin'?" Rynn mused as she and Alkanet walked up to Shinra, who'd been the one speaking, and Shizuo, who looked both angry and confused at the same time.

"Hi, Motsuremaki-san. No, there isn't any rotting sushi. If you want to know, take a look," Shinra said, showing his shoebox.

"Dude, you're s~~++in' me, right?" Rynn snorted. "Go on and read it. I wanna know what it says.~<3"

Shinra opened the letter and read it, Rynn reading over his shoulder and sniggering. Then Shinra noticed that male students opening their shoeboxes were staring at them with unbelieving eyes, then acting strange afterwards. He opened several boys' shoeboxes and checked them, finding exactly what he'd expected as they had the same pink laced envelope in them.

"Wasn't there a prank similar to this last month, except geared towards the girls?" Rynn mused.

"Tch. Stupid," Shizuo muttered. Alkanet nodded in agreement with Shizuo's comment, understanding what he meant by it.

"I'm headed off to class before the bell rings. Kitsune-chan, keep your tail out of trouble," Alkanet said, then left.

"Heh. Well, later, boys. I'm goin' meet up with Iza-kun," Rynn cooed, getting an annoyed growl from Shizuo. She ran off with a sharp laugh and disappeared from their view.

about two hours later(before noon), the school library

"That's right. Love letters sent in the name of Shishizaki-senpai, the most sought-after individual at Raijin High School," Rynn and Alkanet overheard Izaya saying as they walked into the library. "About a fifth of the girls were tricked into skipping their morning classes and rushing to buy chocolates from the neighbourhood...as to Shishizaki-senpai himself, he had been home sick with influenza since several days ago."