Thanksgiving

Sharon

So we're spending Thanksgiving with dad and the step monster and I swear I'm already regretting it. They can't even be bothered with us. Angela's made dinner and it's ok but dad's not really interested. It's like he's playing a part, and he can't be assed to perform today.

'So when's the wedding again?' he asks Joanne and even Angela sighs. However, Joanne loves to talk about her wedding so she regales us with all the little details whilst I'm thinking dad should remember this. He is giving her away after all.

'Robert I do hope you've cleared your diary,' Angela says and I wonder if she's being snide to put Joanne on edge or if she thinks dad really is that disorganised, that disinterested...

'It's fine, I wouldn't miss my girl's big day,' he replies and Joanne beams at him. I scowl looking at the ceiling thinking he probably doesn't even remember her boyfriend's name.

'And what are you getting up to Sharon? Senior year's a big year,' Angela says to me. She must see how bored I am. That's the thing, dad barely knows us so when he finds something he can talk to one of us about he gets engrossed in it. So I'm getting ignored whilst they talk weddings.

'I entered the talent show, more to keep mom happy,' I say. Mom thinks I need to be more involved in student life. Dad stares at me blankly.

'That's great,' he says after Angela nudges him.

'Yeah and then I'll be graduating, and there's the prom, so much stuff,' I say smiling but I'm being sarcastic.

'Such an exciting time,' Angela says, and dad looks vague again.

'So you've got a boyfriend, what does he do?' he suddenly asks, and I pull a face at him.

'He rides a bike.' What a stupid question, Louis is in high school, what does he expect him to do? Dad frowns, he doesn't like that one bit.

'Well I hope he treats you right, or I'll be having words with him,' he snarls in his best I'm Your Father and I Call The Shots voice. I roll my eyes, and Joanne starts on about her wedding again so I'm saved from an interrogation.

                                                                      ***

Davey

I'm actually at the Dimuccis for Thanksgiving; my folks don't really bother but Louis's mom has an open house. I guess his folks feel sorry for me, my parents had me when they were old, and they find the whole parenting thing hard work. They'd assumed they couldn't have kids after years of trying, and then I showed up when they were in their forties.

'So what's Sharon doing today?' Mrs Dimucci asks Louis after dinner. Sharon was invited but she had other plans thank god.

'She's gone to her dad's, she said she'd try and stop by on the way home.'

What fantastic news!

'Oh good, she's such a lovely girl,' Mrs Dimucci says, and Louis's sister scowls. Well at least someone else can see through her, I don't know why Louis's mom likes her.

'We've not seen you very much David,' Mrs Dimucci says to me.

'I guess we're all busy with senior year, we've got loads of work to do this year.' That's only half the story, I'm around less cos Louis is with Sharon most of the time.

'Yes it's an important year, you must do your best, not like Alice here,' she says looking at her daughter. Alice graduated about three years ago and did badly. Her parents are desperate for her to settle down but she doesn't even have a boyfriend, and I feel kinda sorry for her. Not that I'd say, she has a vicious tongue. The door bell goes and I know that has to be Sharon. Louis and his mom jump up to answer, and Sharon comes in talking ten to the dozen to Mrs Dimucci who's clearly taken with her.

'Is that a new dress Sharon? You look so nice. Doesn't she look nice Louis?' Mrs Dimucci remarks.

'Yeah great,' Louis says, and I have to admit she does, you can tell her dress is expensive. It's funny her parents are divorced but she seems better off than the rest of us.

'We weren't sure you'd make it,' Mrs Dimucci says to Sharon.

'Oh dad doesn't like to spend longer with us than he has to,' Sharon says laughing but Mrs Dimucci shakes her head.

'Well, he doesn't know how lucky he is.' I pull a face at Alice and she makes a gagging gesture. I look away trying not to laugh, and Louis kicks me. Fortunately, his mom drags Sharon through to the kitchen for 'a catch up' and we all relax again.

'Jeez Louie don't marry that girl or I'll have to find another mother,' Alice says.

'What are you on about?' Louis is straight on the defensive.

'Your girlfriend, I swear she only comes round here to see mom.'

'Yeah so?' Louis says but I tell he's annoyed.

'You don't feel threatened by that?' Alice taunts him.

'Knock it off, you're the one who feels threatened.'

'By an airhead like her, I don't think so,' Alice snaps.

'Coming from the girl who had to go to summer school to graduate,' Louis retaliates.

I try to shut them both up, their mom and Sharon are only in the kitchen, and the rest of the family are still at the dining table. Luckily they quieten down cos Mrs Dimucci and Sharon come back in with more food, Mrs Dimucci insisting Sharon needs feeding up.

'My sister said you can come to her wedding with me if you want,' Sharon says to Louis.

'I thought she wouldn't let you bring a guest?' I bet he doesn't want to go.

'She's relented, I think she's feeling bad cos she isn't having me as one of her bridesmaids.' Mrs Dimucci tuts, outraged on Sharon's behalf.

'When is it?' I ask her.

'Saturday, January the fourteenth,' Sharon says, and the date sounds familiar.

'Oh we're going to a baseball game that day,' I remind Louis. At least that gets him off the hook.

'I'll give my ticket to Goose,' he says.

'You don't have to,' Sharon says but Louis shakes his head.

'No, I can't let you go by yourself. And anyway doesn't your dad want to meet me?' They both laugh, and I can tell Sharon's really happy he's agreed to go. I can't believe he'd rather go to a wedding with her than hang out with the guys at a game. I'll have words with him later.

                                                                         ***