Chapter Fourty-Three: Promise

When Kuroo and his mom eventually made it to the platform (having to stop along the way because Kuroo was beginning to cry too much), it took him a moment to really get his bearings.

This was happening, and no matter how much he wanted to believe it wasn't going to, he was here. Watching her slip out of his grasp.

His heart and stomach seemed to be having a parade with his gut and lungs in tow, clashing together like symbols and making it hurt to breathe. The lump in his throat couldn't be swallowed. His eyes stung and his lips were chapped, throat sore form the tears.

"Look, there they are." His mom said gently, pointing across the platform. He followed her gesture with his eyes, and saw the family there.

(F/n) was reassuring an elderly woman about eating healthy and taking care of herself, while her parents desperately tried not to cry. (B/n) was bawling his eyes out, and (O/B/n)'s eyes were lined with red. He wouldn't look up to meet the eyes of anyone.

It wasn't long until her family stepped back from her slightly. Her dad passed her a lavender backpack, probably from early childhood that was still useful. Her mom gave her a final squeeze. (O/B/n) crushed her in a hug, promising (muffled by her shirt) that he'd get taller and beat all her high scores. (B/n) asked her to send him gifts when she got to Kyoto.

When the family finally tore away from each other, Kuroo waited a good few seconds until he raced past them. He swore he heard a small chuckle escape from the elderly woman–whom he assumed was (F/n)'s grandmother. He discarded it. The only thing he cared about was talking to her.

The moment he was in reach, he grabbed her and slammed her into a tight hug. She didn't stiffen or yelp, but dig into the hug with a breathy huff, almost like a half sob.

"Promise me you'll take care of them." Her voice was muted by his clothes, and her hands gripped tight onto his jacket. "Promise me you'll be there for them. Promise me that Kenma and Akaashi will be alright. Promise me you'll visit my family every chance you get. Tell me you'll stay in touch with Bokuto. Promise to contact our team."

The more she spoke, the more she sounded like she was crying. Her tone was desperate, her words broken, her voice breaking and pausing.

"P-promise me..." Her voice gave a noticeable crack. "Promise you'll always pursue your passions and to always be happy. Promise me!" She lifted her face, the demand sharp and surprisingly clear. Her (e/c) eyes dripped, heavy with tears and the future ahead of her.

Kuroo didn't want to admit that he was crying the same way.

Now, he didn't know what came over him, but he pushed his lips onto hers in a kiss that seemed to last for too long and too short–the salt of their tears mixed in, surprisingly bitter. His hair tickling her face, noses red and eyes puffy. His hands found their way to her cheeks, trying to rub away her tears.

"I'm sorry," he managed immediately after pulling away, "that was rude and I–I, I didn't know what to do." He admitted. "I... don't know what to do..." he added, more quietly.

"I'm sorry, too." Her grip loosened on his coat a little, her knuckles having grown a numb white from holding on so hard. "You deserve better."

"Don't." Kuroo said, on the edge of a snap. This clearly caught her off guard, because she uttered a mere, "Huh?"

"Don't do that." His voice rounded over slightly, and he knocked their foreheads together. He didn't explain any further, just thumbed some extra tears away from the edge of her eye.

She stood there for a moment, her (e/c) eyes fixed on him, before they crinkles up and she let out a laugh. "You know, your material is still very clingy." She murmured.

"Boyfriend material? I know. It's hard to get rid of, isn't it?" His hazel eyes swirled, and he chuckled a little. "Nobody wants to take it except you."

"Oh, don't say that. I've been glared at by some of those weird fangirls of yours." (F/n) drew out a sigh. "Any one of them would be willing to hook up with you."

"I have fangirls?"

"Oh my god, Tetsu."

He gave her an innocent grin, and she rolled her eyes. With their foreheads plastered together and the help of his tears, it looked like she had four eyes and two noses. "You had enough of me, yet?"

"Not really." She said earnestly, her fingers tracing down the zipper to his jacket. Her eyebrows furrowed. "You should really zip this up. You'll get cold."

"You're ruining the moment."

She huffed a laugh, and pulled her head away. "I'll amend this moment," She said as she dug through her purse for a moment. Finally, she pulled out a small box, and pressed it in his hands.

Kuroo began opening it curiously, looking up at her for an unsure moment.

"Go ahead. It's your early Christmas gift." She prompted, shoving her hands in the pockets of her jacket.

He pried off the cardboard lid, and inside sat a simple silver ring on a little silk cushion. He picked it up, and turned it over in his fingers to discover words engraved in it: 'Whaddya say, sport?'

His first words directed to her. What seemed like a million years ago.

Engraved into a promise ring.

He slipped it on his finger, and furiously dried his eyes with his jacket. He could tell she was smiling through the want to cry again.

"I promise." He whispered.

Epilogue?