Chapter Thirty: Approve

There it was.

The quiet tapping of a nail on a prosthetic leg. Kuroo had actually begun to miss the sound.

He wanted to comment on it, but stayed quiet. Right now, they were in the car, heading back to her house. She looked half asleep, her eyes glassy and fading, which actually looked awfully cute.

(O/B/n) had been at Shino-chan's house while they went out, and it turned out that one of (B/n)'s friends lived on the same street, so everyone got to spend time together.

Kuroo gently ran his hands along her arm as she leaned against him a little, listening to the game (O/B/n) borrowed from Shino, the quiet flap of a page (B/n) had finished reading in his library book and the quiet tapping from (F/n). Other than that, the ride was pretty tense.

When they pulled up, the lights were on, and there was a figure pacing in their large living room window. When the figure saw the car, they immediately hurried in the direction of the front door.

Kuroo got out of the car first, and helped the three siblings out. It was clear that they assumed he was just going to drive off with his mum, but he slung an arm around his girlfriends shoulders and walked them all to the front door.

A woman, with hair that looked like she'd raked her fingers through it and business clothes that were a little rumpled, opened the door quickly and rushed outside.

A man with the same looks and a horribly exhausted expression quickly followed. His tie was loosened, and his button down half untucked from his pants.

The two stopped in front of the kids, a few feet away. Silence strung between them all, a tense atmosphere settling down as well. Kuroo heard his mom exit the car and watch from afar, just in case.

"Okaa-san..." (B/n) finally croaked out, and he stumbled over to the woman. The two actually looked very alike. Their mom pulled him into a tight embrace, kneeling down so they were at eye level.

(O/B/n) didn't say anything. He just gave Kuroo a small hug and a mumble that sounded like a thank you, and quickly hurried inside to avoid the awkwardness. (F/n) leaned a little more into Kuroo, and he felt the weight of her thoughts, even though they weren't his own.

She, being the oldest and almost in college, of course wanted to draw a line somewhere. (F/n) would want to address the situation respectably, but she would also want to let this go and get the stress over with and forgotten.

"Oh, (F/n)..." Her father's voice was warm, and a little rumbly. Kuroo felt her fingers dig into the back of his jacket. "We're sorry. We'll talk about all of this tomorrow, okay? You look tired."

"So do you." She said, surprisingly even. "And I'd like to address this tonight, actually. I won't be able to sleep otherwise."

"You can always text me." Kuroo suggested, and she nudged him harshly with the side of her foot. "C'mon! I'm trying my best here, dammit."

"You don't seem to be trying at all." She deadpans.

"Well, maybe I'm just a natural boyfriend, then." Kuroo hummed, patting her head. She let out a small huff, and pushed him off of her.

"Right." Was her dubious answer.

"All natural!" He insisted, and he heard her father laugh. He gave himself a tiny moment to congratulate himself on winning her dad over.

"Alright, alright. Have a safe drive home. I owe you and your mum." (F/n) said, brushing her hand against Kuroo's. He was thankful it was both dark and cold, because a blush erupted on his cheeks. "I'll text you in the morning. Or call, or something."

The bedhead nodded, and stepped back a little. "Don't over do yourself, now. I don't want a soulless husk of a significant other."

"How endearing." She said dryly, stuffing her hands in her pockets and turning away to head to her front door.

"Goodnight, dearest." Kuroo cooed, and he saw her bury her face into her scarf.

"Good." Her dad said, then patted Kuroo on the shoulder. "Thanks for taking care of my daughter. We owe you and your mother."

"It was no problem, sir." Kuroo said with a respectful nod.

The man smiled, then turned to walk back up to the house. (F/n)'s mum looked a little awkward, sending (B/n) back inside and standing there for a moment. She then pulled Kuroo into a quick hug.

"Thank you for taking care of her. She's been a lot happier, and I'd like to think it's because of you." She murmured, then pulled away and walked back up to the house.

Her took a moment to catch his breath. He was just approved by both of her parents was this real oh god was he hallucinating–his thoughts were cut off by his mom shouting at him to stop being a creep and to get in the car.

As they drove back home, his mom broke the content silence they'd been sharing. "So you got approved of, I see."

"Mom."

"We should invite them all over for dinner sometime." She continued with a smirk.

"Mom.

"I'm expecting grandkids before I die." She added.

"MOM."