Chapter 4

The next morning, there is a knock at the door. Oh, God help me. I look out the window only to see my sister with a worried expression on her face

I open the door and motion for her to come inside quickly. Once inside, I ask the question that I already know the answer to. "Why are you here?"

"You know why I'm here. Look, Kynlee, everyone at the precinct thinks you're guilty."

"Is that lady okay? How is she doing? Is she in the hospital?" I asked worried sick. She was so nice to me and I feel so bad.

"Kynlee, she's dead. That's why I'm here. My captain is ready to have you arrested for murder," she says which only makes me feel worse.

I feel a pit forming in my stomach the size of Texas. I killed her... oh God I killed her! Then I look up at Lindsey.

"You're here to arrest me, aren't you? You're not here to check on me, you came to take me to jail," I confront her.

She nods slightly taking out her cuffs. I take a few steps toward the door. She knows that I want to run.

"Kynlee, don't. I don't think you did it, but if you run, it'll only make you look guilty," she said quickly.

My eyes flash to the door for a brief second and then I look back at Lindsey. "Kynlee, if you run, I'll be the one that will have to hunt you down," she says.

"It's better than going to jail. I either run and have my sister chase after me or let my sister cage me up like a wild animal. I think we both know it's a lose-lose situation," I tell her.

"You think I want to arrest my own sister? I don't have a choice, but you do. You can fight this the right way," she says trying to convince me.

"Lindsey, you know as well as I do that if I let you take me away, they'll prove me guilty and I'll be in prison for the rest of my life," I tell her.

She takes a step toward me and I take a step toward the door glancing at her cuffs that look ready to be used.

"Please, Kynlee, don't make me chase after you. If I have to hunt you, I'll have to treat you like a criminal," she urges.

"These people are framing me for a reason, so they're going to want to make sure I'm sent to the death penalty. There is no 'right way' to fight this," I say.

"If you run, there is no future for you. No valedictorian, no graduation, and no law school," she informs me.

"There's no future for me either way. Do you really want me to be put to death?" I ask her.

"That's bull. You're not going to die, Kynlee," she tries to convince me. "You know better than to tell me that," I say putting my hand on the doorknob.

She sighs and shakes her head. "Look the most I can do for you is tell my captain that you weren't here. I will have to come after you," she says.

I turn the doorknob and gently pull the door open. I walk outside and dig my keys out of my pocket.

Before I start to walk to my car, I turn around and look back at Lindsey. She doesn't look at me.

I run to my car and start it. As I pull away, Lindsey walks out the door with her phone up to her ear. I assume she's telling her captain she didn't find me.

I drive around the town and listen to the radio. The song I'm jamming to suddenly cuts off and the voice of a news reporter comes on.

"Mayoral candidate, Laura Miller, was pronounced dead at 5 this morning after being poisoned in a local coffee shop. We just got word that the suspect is not in custody and she needs to be found. Her name is Kynlee Ryder. She is about 5 foot 4 and has long black hair. If you see her, do not hesitate to call 9-1-1 and report it. Only with your help can we find this fugitive. Thank you."

I shudder. The chase is beginning and I have no idea what to do or where to go for any help.

My phone rings and I look at it. No caller ID, that's weird. I pick it up to answer, but before I can ask who it is, the person begins to talk.

"I know you need my help. If you don't want to spend the rest of your life in prison, be at the address I send you in 15 minutes or less. I'll answer your questions when you get here."

So many questions flood my mind. She fumbles with the phone and I know she's about to hang up. "Wait! Who-" I start but she hangs up.

I put my phone in my lap and keep driving. Who does this person think she is telling me that I need HER help?

My phone buzzes and I pull over to look at it. There is a message from a no caller ID and it's an address. 371 Collins Street.

I know that place. It's the child care center where they took me after my mom killed my dad. They just closed down two months ago.

I guess thats where I'm going if I want to be free from my sister who is trying to put me in jail.