Chapter 3

I have an older sister. She's a cop. She's trying to make me admit to a crime that I didn't do. I feel a swirl of anger and happiness.

I just stand there speechless. Why didn't my mother tell me I had a sister? Well, there was a lot she never did.

She never put me to bed at nights or woke me up in the mornings. She never took me to kindergarten or picked me up.

She never made me pancakes for breakfast or made me smile when I was sad. My father always did that. My mom was never around the do that.

After her killing spree, I had no one to do that. Jessie's mom did the best she could, but it just wasn't the same.

"Say something, please," Lindsey says to me. "I mean, I've always wanted to have a sister, but not one that's pinning a crime on me," I say.

"I didn't have a choice. My boss thought since I was your sister that you'd admit it to me. I told him I didn't think you did it," she explains.

"If that's true, then go back and tell him I didn't do it," I snap. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be rude," I apologize. She smiles and nods.

Lindsey gets in her car and drives away just as Jessie pulls up in her car. I wave at Lindsey and greet Jessie. "Who was that?" She asks.

"Cops," I say. I give her a look that says "don't ask" but she starts to pry, anyway. "What did she ask you? Does she think you did it? Is she going to arrest you? Are you going to jail?!" She asks.

"Woah, slow down. She doesn't think I did it and no, I'm not going to jail!" I say. She slowly lets her breath out. I roll my eyes.

"Look, I'm going to the mall and I would appreciate it if you would come with me," I say. She sighs and shakes her head.

"I can't, I have to study. I kind of failed the mid-term and tomorrow is the last day to retake it," she says. I laugh and tell her I understand.

"I'll just call Hunter," I tell her, "you just go pass that test." Jess gets in her car and drives away. I dial the number for Hunter and he picks up.

"Hey, babe," he says. "Hey, are we still on for Friday?" I ask him. "Yeah, why wouldn't we be?" He asks me.

Crap, he doesn't have a TV. He doesn't know about what happened. I can't tell him. He would just try to help me and that would make him look guilty too.

"Oh, no reason. I just want this night to be prefect with no interruptions," I lie. There won't be a date if I'm in jail.

"Well, I'll see you then." I say in the best happy voice I can fake. "Looking forward to it," He says. "Bye."

I grab my keys and head to the mall. That's the only thing that could take my mind off of it.

I stopped by several stores and found absolutely nothing that interested me. The few shirts I thought were cute weren't in my size.

I decided to take a break and get a cup of coffee. So I found the nearest Starbucks and hurried in the door.

In my attempt to get a good spot in the line, I ran into a lady carrying a cup of hot chocolate.

"Oh my, I'm so sorry, ma'am," I tell her nervously. She starts to chuckle and I get even more nervous. "You're fine, hunny," she says in a sweet voice.