17: A New Home

She helplessly looked around for an escape but like she had thought the door was not an option. It was on fire everything around her was on fire. She was too panicked to dwell upon what caused it but instead she covered herself with her blanket and trudged towards her bedroom window. She picked up a metal vase and smashed the glass of the window with it. The metal frame hinged on to the cement walls creaked dangerously but opened outward after continuous prodding with a slight creak of protest . The cold night wind did little to better her senses because it was still very much hot in the room. She was thankful for the first time that her windows did not have grills. She tried to regain her voice but she was shivering with fear. How painful would it be to burn to your bones until you're nothing but ashes?

She screamed with all her might for help and continued to scream till her voice gave out, hoarse and croaked. However her shrill screaming was effective because she saw her neighbors' windows light up in the darkness of the night. The night guard rushed to the source of the screams and she was relieved to find her neighbors opening their windows. Everyone around her were shouting for her to not panic and that the fire truck was on its way. She felt something warm at her back and much to her horror her blanket was on fire. She shrugged it off and without thinking through anything she swung one of her legs over the window ledge and her bare feet landed on the cold cement landing of an unnecessary structure jutting out of the apartment building but she was thankful for it. Her pajama clad knee had scraped against the still hot metal ledge of her window but that was the least of her things to worry about. If she did not make a move any time about now, there would be nothing left to feel pain about after a few minutes of agonising burning. Her body was now completely out on the landing as she heard the voices around her increase. She held her window sill for support even though it burnt her hand and hot searing pain cut through her skin possibly giving her blisters and burns but she calculated the impact of her fall. She was three storeys up above the cobblestone courtyard of her apartment building. A few fractured bones and ribs or immediate death? She did not want to think. She took a risk and with a leap of faith she jumped and got hold of a pipe running down towards the ground. She could make out the concerned shouts of other people but some supported her in trying to climb down. She looked down below and saw some people dragging in the children's trampoline from the apartment park and others pillowing it up with cushions, pillows and blankets. At this moment she was glad her parents made her join gymnastics. She hoped for the best and entrusting herself to her lord, she tried to slide down. She made it to the floor below her but there she missed her footing. She could hear the chorus chants of the people below to be careful and not panic. She tried her best not to, but she was still two floors up. She could hear the sirens of the fire truck at a distance and the other people told her not to move and hold still. She was scared but she trusted herself and her protector. She knew she could do this. Clutching the pipe tighter and swinging her body towards the pipe she held onto it for her dear life. She descended slowly. One feet down and another arm down, and this time her hold on the pipe with her feet and arms were stronger. Slowly and carefully she made it to the first floor and soon she felt her feet touching the fluffiness of the trampoline. She heard chorused cheers. She landed back on the pillows and almost cried. One of her neighbours covered her with a blanket and she let out a cry of gratitude. She saw her elderly neighbour rush towards her with a worried expression.

'are you alright honey?' mrs. Merryweather questioned.

'yes, just a little thirsty' shira tried to speak through her choked voice. Her other neighbours helped her drink water and wash her face.

'where is zara and rubina? ' another neighbour asked panicked. Shira was relieved that her friends were not at home. Even if she died, the thought of losing her friends was unbearable.

'they are not at home' samantha, her neighbour and friend nodded hugging her and then she walked off with her phone.

Everything happened so fast. The fire truck came, then the police. She answered the queries as truthfully as possible because she herself was not aware of what had caused this massive fire. Later she was informed that only her room was set on fire. Weird she thought. She saw zara coming through the apartment gates half an hour later, still in her pajamas and looking distraught. She came and engulfed shira into a hug and checked for any injuries.