6: Prefect Duties

An update!!!!
____________
The day had just started. Birds chirped and the morning sun rays fell on the white covers shira abed had wrapped herself in. It looked like a bundle of shimmering cotton that had been dropped from the heavens. A sudden blaring voice echoed in the room as an annoyed groan sounded from inside the bed covers. A girl with a messy bun rose from within the sheets, looking like a butterfly emerging from it's cocoon. She shut off the thing she despised and which seemed like a jealous lover who was determined to destroy shira's relationship with sleep,  every morning.

She got up clumsily from her bed just to fall on her face on the carpeted floor which was clean until about a day or two ago but was messed up with food wrappers and papers everywhere. Shira abed was like that. She was messy and she was proud of it unlike her friend rubina who was a clean freak and liked to keep the entire apartment neat and clean, including her friend's rooms. She sat up and felt low all of a sudden. An unsettling fact made it's way into her heart. Rubina had left for dubai about three days ago, for her engagement. Zara had accompanied her. As much as shira wanted to go,  she could not leave her duties and responsibilities behind. She was unfortunately a prefect and bound to volunteer for the charity event. Not like she did not want to volunteer for something so noble but she felt disappointed for not being able to be with her friend.

Her phone rang all of a sudden and she rushed to receive it. It was zara calling and relief and happiness washed over her.

"assalamualaikum habibti,  hope you are awake" zara's voice came from the other end and shira smiled goofily.

"yep woke up to the alarm for the first time" both of them laughed. But it looked like zara had forced herself to laugh.

"i see,  our absence is making you responsible" zara chuckled nervously.

"yeah,  and lonely too" shira replied gloomily,  her spirits dying down.

"oh come on, you have the charity event today, make sure of it's smooth functioning. We both have a lot of hopes on you "zara spoke like a grandmother.

" i will see to that grandma, now where is rubs? " she anxiously waited for her reply. Shira knew what her friend was going through and she wished no one had to go through all that. She had not even met the groom and agreed to the arrangement because of her parents. She wondered if she could ever be as selfless as rubina.

"Shira there is an emergency" zara spoke worriedly from the other end and shira felt anxious hearing that.

"what happened? "

" rubina is getting married today" the urgency in zara's voice was clear and shira almost toppled over hearing that.

"this is not the way you prank a person,  come on" shira spoke annoyed.

"i am serious" zara's voice was grave and heavy with seriousness.

"how?  Why? -

"apparently, the guy is in a hurry to get married and he says he'll allow rubina to complete her studies even after the marriage, they'll both come to new york and after she completes her studies,  they'll go back to dubai" shira processed the information and frowned.

"for a person in hurry to not bother about the bride's feelings or whether she is ready for marriage or not,  he seems generous enough to let her continue her studies, it is really not settling well with me. " shira spoke as something stabbed her guts telling her it's not the right thing.

" i know, he seemed so suspicious while telling that to her parents and her parents happily agreed and the nikkah is all set to be held today evening " zara spoke so fast,  shira could imagine zara walking the entire length of the space she was confined to. She does that when she is worried or tensed.