A Rise and a Fall

Start from the beginning

You remained fixated on Beacon while resigning yourself to your supposed end. The dragon Grimm was now perched on top of Beacon tower, making you wonder what exactly it was doing there. From what you saw it didn't attack anyone and just seemed to be flying around. You feared the worst had happened when the thought occurred to you that in the time you weren't looking towards Beacon it had already wiped out most of the people there, everyone you cared about included.

Then an incredible white light erupted from the tower. It was as if the sky had blown the heavens into stars. Despite how far away you were the brightness was so strong your eyes hurt from it, forcing you to look down and cover them.

Several minutes passed and you convinced yourself to crack open an eye. There was no illumination from the light, encouraging you to open your other eye. When your gaze returned to Beacon the dragon was still fixed on the same spot. You stared at if for a while, looking for any sign of movement from it; there wasn't.

"What happened?"

The ensuing silence quickly became unbearable. Not knowing when your end would come, the confusion following that burst of light, how helpless you were in this situation. All of it was hitting you at full force.

For fleeting moment, you forgot about the debris on top of you and attempted to get up.

"Move damnit!" you shouted aggressively.

After that brief outburst a familiar sound slowly getting louder; a dog barking.

"Zwei?" you muttered.

But he wasn't alone. You heard what sounded like someone following after the small dog and calling out to him. As the voice became clearer you realised that it belonged to someone you knew.

"Jaune!" you shouted once he came into your field of view.

He jumped slightly from both you shouting out his name and seeing you almost buried beneath the remains of your house.

"What're you doing here? Weren't you at Beacon?" you asked.

"Hang on." He replied, ignoring your question. "I'll get you out."

He made a brief attempt to pull up the large piece pinning you down, only to stop and clear off whatever debris he could before trying again.

"Give me a sec." he requested after his attempt was unsuccessful.

"You never answered my question." you claimed as he attempted again to lift the rubble off you.

"Zwei." he grunted in response, stopping once more and coming to the conclusion that he wouldn't be able to lift it up. "I was in the city and I heard him barking. I didn't know it was him at first but when he saw me he ran over and started pulling at my leg before running off."

"He wanted you to follow him." you realised, turning your attention to the corgi.

"I guess so."

"Good boy." you complimented, stretching out your hand to pet him; you couldn't reach far enough to get the top of his head and had to settle for scratching him beneath the chin, though he didn't seem to mind.

"Why are you here?" Jaune began. "I thought you'd be evacuated with everyone else."

"I know." you said abashed. "I was worried about my parents and convinced Yang I needed to be here."

"So this is your home?"

You nodded.

"What's left of it."

"How did you get into the city?" he questioned.

"Yang put me in a locker. She also gave me Zwei to look after; although now I guess he seems to be looking after me."