twenty one

i regretted it as soon as it ended.

i paced back and forth through my room, running my hands through my hair.

"why did we do that?" i asked, more towards myself than sam.

"you love him."

"yeah, i do!" i said loudly, collapsing onto my bed. i had practice in an hour, but right now all i could think of is what i just did with sam. my phone started to ring and i sat up abruptly and my heart ached when i saw the name on the screen.

"hi babe." i answered, sam mocking me afterwards.

"rose, is sam there?"

"he is." i admitted, making eye contact with him. "he just got here."

"yeah, well i'm at lax. i'll be there soon too. i love you."

before i could respond, jack ended the call.

and i panicked.

"oh my god." i breathed, beginning to hyperventilate. "he's coming."

"i knew he would."

i ran into my bathroom and locked myself in, splashing cool water onto my face. when i looked up at my reflection, i saw an average sized purple bruise on my neck.

"sam i swear to GOD!" i yelled, nearly breaking my door down with how hard i opened it. i pointed to my neck and he smirked.

"that's going to be a nice story to explain to jack, isn't it?" he laughed.

"leave me alone, sam. go stay at a hotel." i spat, grabbing my practice uniform from my bag and  walking back into the bathroom to change.

"rosie, i'm the one who truly loves you." sam said outside of the door.

"if you loved me, you'd let me be happy — with jack." i opened the door and walked by him, now going towards the kitchen. i put a spoon into the freezer. poor carly, who was caught in the middle, sat at the bar silently with her eyebrows raised.

"what is happening?"

"i'll tell you at practice." i said quickly, leaning against the counter.

sam walked in, leaning beside me.

"rosie just talk to me." he begged.

"outside."

he followed me to the back patio and i crossed my arms. "what did you need to talk about?"

"you, rose. why don't you love me anymore?"

i threw my head back in annoyance, closing my eyes.

"sam, you left me. you left me in LA while you did who knows what with who knows who on that tour with jack and jack. you promised you'd come back and after awhile of you not coming back, i had to try to get over you. when you ended it i was devastated but i knew it was coming." i said. "now get the fuck out of my apartment and go back to california."

i pushed by him and grabbed my now cold spoon and held it against my neck, pushing down a little and praying it went away before jack got here. sam hadn't left the back patio yet and i couldn't get to practice until he left. the school is only a five minute drive from carly and i's apartment, so i didnt have too much to worry about.

before i could tell him to leave a second time, he silently entered the house and then walked to the front door and left. no goodbye.

just like he did before.

-

after practice, carly and i and a couple of other girls from the team, who i learned were named daniella and amie, decided to stop for food at miss dots. i took mine to go and got an uber back home, promising carly i'd leave our spare key out somewhere she could find it. when i got   inside , my phone started to ring.

"hey!" i attempted to sound cheery, but the name alone sank my heart into my feet.

"hey, i'll be there soon. i hope that fucker made it easier for himself and is no where to be seen." jack laughed lightly, causing me to laugh a little too.

"he left earlier. i told him to go back to california, i dont know if he listened." i sighed, setting my food on the counter and taking out a frozen spoon. the method was working so far, but it wasn't gone all the way. jack and i had done things before i left to go out here, so it wouldn't be far fetched to tell him he left the mark with how faded it now was. it would be wrong though.

in the meantime, i decided to post a picture to Instagram.

• Tuscaloosa, Alabama

tagged: @carlyrivers @roseventura: here's to the next four years roommate 🥂 #didntstrangleherLiked by @carlyrivers, @jackgilinsky, and 7,820 others -@jademcallister - smh replacing me already? jk see you soon ❤️@roseventura- @jademcallister hahah...

@roseventura: here's to the next four years roommate 🥂 #didntstrangleher
Liked by @carlyrivers, @jackgilinsky, and 7,820 others
-
@jademcallister - smh replacing me already? jk see you soon ❤️
@roseventura- @jademcallister hahaha never 💞
@jackgilinsky - weirdo
@gilinskysbabe - awww
@carlyrivers - ❤️

-

when i heard the knock at the door, i automatically felt sick. i knew jack would notice something was off with me. despite everything telling me not to, i answered the door to see him standing there, one carry on bag in hand.

"god, i missed you."

he dropped the bag and engulfed me into his arms, tears beginning to pool in my eyes.

"i missed you." i whispered back, holding onto him and taking in every second i had. seeing him here, all the way out in alabama and away from the LA scene and drama was soothing. seeing him in my tiny, shared apartment made me think of how things would be if the two of us got an apartment.

until..

"rose, what the hell is this?"

a piece of paper left at the foot of my bed.

"had a great time. i know you did too ;)
- s"