12

**** Taec sat on his front porch, tablet in hand. He flipped from screen to screen, checking each of the security cameras. So focused on his work he didn't notice Rayne rest her chin on the railing. Artemis sat faithfully at her side.

"Here I thought Becca was tech savvy."

Taec immediately looked up from the screen to meet her blue gaze.

"Tech savvy?"

She nodded, "Becca's really good with stuff like that. In fact, I have to ask her to set up my phone every time I get a new one....tablets and computers too."

Taec tilted his head to the side slightly. "Why are you here without your chair, Miss Blanton?"

Rayne shrugged, "I don't know. I was kinda wondering about something silly. Plus Artemis needed a walk, and so did I. I don't stay in that chair all the time you know."

This got Taec's attention. So he lay the tablet aside and waited. He studied her for a moment. She wasn't in her wheelchair today.

'Must be feeling better.' he thought.

Rayne said nothing for a long minute. The look in his eyes was so intense it took her breath away.

After a long silence he sighed, "You said you were wondering about something, so what do you want to know?"

She jumped, "Oh, sorry. I...I... it's just that I... How old are you?"

Taec blinked. He wasn't expecting that one. "27. Why?"

Rayne looked at the seat next to him, "May I sit with you?"

Taec nodded. 'She most likely won't leave any time soon. So might as well let her sit.' He moved over to make room on the swing as well. "Just don't get in the way as I work."

She nodded, "I won't." She stepped onto the deck, and sat beside him. Artemis lay her head happily into her mistresses lap. Rayne began to stroke the Pit's large head before she spoke. "It's nice here. You can see most of the ranch buildings."

He nodded, "That's why I chose this spot." He looked around, "From here I have easy access to all the main buildings, and can get to them quickly if there's an emergency."

Rayne studied him for a minute. "You really thought ahead before picking a cabin."

He nodded. Rayne noticed then that his hair had been cut. It wasn't long, still framed his face, and covered his ears.

"You know, I grew up around military men. Most of them keep their military hair cuts or close to it, but you've let yours grow out. Why?"

Taec went still, then turned all his attention on her. Rayne couldn't help feeling like she was seeing the wolf within.

"How did you know I was in the military, and what does that have to do with anything?"

Rayne shook her head, "The way you carry yourself. Through my sister I've seen a lot of K-pop stars. Both in concert and on the screen. They don't carry themselves like soldiers. You do."