Chapter 6

We walked into the cafeteria and sat down all at the same table. Carol walked up to us with some cans.

Carol: "Here guys its not much you guys will have to share some of the fruit because we are running out."

Bethany: "We will have to go on a run then. But we could just use the cereal I brought to hold us over, right?"

Carol: "Yeah but we want to save that for breakfast. It's been a while since any of us had a real breakfast."

Bethany: "Yeah that's true haha."

Rick walked over to our table and sat next to me.

Rick: "Guess what guys?"

Bethany: "What?!"

Rick: "We are going to have a bonfire tonight!"

Bethany: "Yes!! It has been a while since I've been to a bonfire."

Michonne walks over with a big smile on her face.

Michonne: "and...there is going to be a special surprise there as well!"

Maddie: "Yay I can't wait!"

-------------

Later that evening...

It was starting to get dark so Rick started setting up the pit for the fire. I helped him of course since it was the least I could do. I took my bat and he took an axe to cut down some of the branches off of the trees in the woods.

Rick: "We could burn some of the walkers too if we run out of wood."

Bethany: "Rick that would smell so ratchet. We already have to smell the prison and outside and that is enough for me."

Rick laughed while we headed into the woods a little bit. I kept watch while he cut down some of the branches. There were no walkers coming and Rick finished cutting the wood. We grabbed the branches, they were actually really heavy but I managed. We were bringing them back to the pit but I couldn't see where I was going because the wood was covering my face. Then I heard a voice that startled me a little bit.

Carl: "Whoa there. Need some help with that?'

Bethany: "Oh my god! Yes please this is so heavy."

Carl laughed and grabbed half of the stack in my hands and put them down in the pit. Unlike me who just threw them in there because my arms just gave out.

I was panting and trying to catch my breath I kind of looked stupid. Oh well. Carl had his water bottle in his hand and handed it to me.

Carl: "Here drink some."

Bethany: "Thanks." I said casually and sipped some of the water. I handed the bottle back to Carl and we walked back inside to tell everyone to come outside.

1 hour later.

For the past hour everyone has been pretty quiet, there wasn't much being said at all. It was completely dark out now. I decided to break the silence and I got a huge smile on my face. I got up and started jogging to the car.

Bethany: "I'll be right back! I'm going to go get something!" I crawled into the backseat to reach into the trunk and grab my guitar. I ran back as fast as I could and caught my breath. I sat back down with my guitar and said, "I think we all need this...if you don't mind. I have the most perfect song I would love to sing for you all."

Dad: "Go ahead Bethany." he said with a smile on his face.

I tested the strings and started playing a few chords. I started playing "Live Like We're Dying" by Kris Allen. I just think this song is perfect. In every single way.