Chapter 18: The Reading

-3 months later-

{A}

"For God's sake, Josh, I said no," Autumn said loudly.

"Come on, your sissy asshole pop-star friend is gone and is never coming back. You might as well be with me."

"Go away," she said as she attempted to slam the door, but the man stuck his foot in the doorway.

"Ouch. That wasn't a very pleasant thing to feel."

"Your existence outside my house also isn't a pleasant thing to feel, goodbye."

   She slammed the door harder, and this time he didn't even bother to stop it. Everyday for the past two weeks, he had been bothering her to go out with him, since "Michael Jackson isn't coming back anyway."

   What had been more bothering was that her curiosity was killing her. She had been wanting to read the notebook -Michael's, rather- more than anything else. What was written in it? What's at the bottom of the last page that he wrote before handing it over to Maria?

   She sighed. Well, she couldn't read it, could she? If she read his, then Michael would read hers, which will be pretty embarrassing for them. His notebook seemed very interesting though. It was as if Michael wrote on it everyday, making it seem messier than the usual notebook. Plus, when she flipped through the pages a month ago, she saw some sketches and drawings.

   She went to the bathroom and quickly changed into her uniform. She was almost late for work already, so she had to go. When she opened the door, ready to run to the hospital, she almost bumped into him.

"Josh, what the hell?" She exclaimed.

"I was thinking maybe you'd reconsider, seeing little miss Autumn is so lonely lately," he said with mock sincerity.

"No, Josh, You've been at me for years, just go away. I'm late for work," she simply stated and started to sprint towards the hospital.

"The hospital?"

"Yes, and I assure you, if you don't stop following me, you're ending up there" she shouted.

   She ran quickly, not even bothering to wait for his reply. Why couldn't he just let her be? It's been literally years since he asked her out, and she said no. All the times he asked her, she always said no.

   She slowed down a bit later when she realized she was now far from Josh. She still sprinted though; she's only got 5 minutes to spare. When she reached the hospital, she went in quickly and clocked in. She sighed in relief because she was just right on time.

   She went towards the children's ward, where she was always assigned to. She was always good with kids anyway. When she arrived, the cheerful faces of the children greeted her. Some continued to play and do whatever they were doing, some were trying to engage in a conversation with Autumn, while some were just sleeping. In other words, just another normal day at work.

   Hours later, while she was assisting and guiding the children at play, she heard the ward doors open. She didn't turn around though; she was busy. The kids were quite a handful.

"Hello, Autumn," a voice said. She turned around to see the last person on earth she even wanted to see.

"Josh, what are you doing here? You're not allowed here," she tried to say in the most timid tone she can; she didn't want to seem vicious in front of the kids.