001

Wilder

The news broadcast blared in the next room over. The living room was filled with the wails of sirens and guns being fired. Policeman Wilder Brooks stayed in the kitchen, not wanting to view the matter unfolding on the television. I'm sure I will be hearing enough about it at work tomorrow, he thought to himself. It's probably some rebellious blonde-haired-being who thinks they can make a difference. Why do they never learn? They are not in control any longer. They belong where they are, in sewers alleys and the three makeshift shelter colonies that have been devised around the world. Nobody in law enforcement believes these three asylums should continue to be permitted, yet the government for some reason allows it. Local police departments have no say for anything other than what goes down in their hometowns. Brooks, of no high ranking in the police department of Allegan, had made it his goal to exterminate all blondes in the town's vicinity. They would not be tolerated by him or any citizen who is a part of this one world government.

The television broadcast cut out and a woman's voice sounded quite serious as she spoke in stern, short syllables. This caught twenty-two-year-old Wilder Brooks's attention. He raced from the kitchen into the living room area to assess the situation. The news that was about to filter through his eardrums must be important due to the fact that the news station itself was being interrupted. 

"Please excuse the intrusion, this is your government speaking. We have just received some breaking news." Brooks was listening intently now, unblinkingly. He reached for the remote and turned the volume up higher so all words could be heard clearly. He didn't want to miss a detail. This occasion is very rare. "For the first time in three centuries, a red-head has been born." Wilder's heart raced. A red-head? "This birth, though, is not at all recent. This child has been in captivity for fourteen years, ever since she was conceived. Doctors tested the mother while she was pregnant and found DNA that was altered in ways nobody could recognize or identify. The child has been raised in a laboratory belonging to the government far out in a remote area. We regret to inform you that this teenage child has escaped and could possibly be dangerous. Her name is Analya Ryker." A photograph of the female popped onto the screen. It was pixelated but the face could be detected had she been seen through a house window or in person. Her skin was very pale with flecks of freckles dotting her face. Long red tendrils rained below her shoulders. The scheduled channel went back to normal but not before a second apology was given for the interjection of daily routine.

Brooks shook his head. This will upset the flow of everything. Families and businesses will panic for their safety and order will slope into chaos, no location was pinpointed on this threat. Who's to say anyone knows where the escapee could be at this very moment? By now the redhead must have acquired a weapon for self-defense, hunting, or homicide. There is no telling what might be circling around in the teen's brain, fresh out of captivity for the first time in the child's entire lifetime. Revenge is a possibility depending on how the doctors and security guards treated her. But there was also doubt in Wilder's mind that the fourteen-year-old would survive the upcoming week alone, running from the entire human population. The blondes may be at the tail end of the social pyramid but they won't take Analya in. That's a guarantee. She's an oddity, they won't want her either. She's just another risk to give sanctuary to, except more valuable. Even if she can persuade them, they'll immediately turn her over to authorities when the action is demanded. 

Wilder's phone buzzed to life, the screen illuminating to portray the caller identification. The individual's picture spread as the background. Brooks answered the call with a gruff "Hello?"

"Hey," the female sounded troubled as if her lips were quivering. "are they going to hurt her?" Wilder knew she was referring to the breaking news update. The interruption must've been on all channels considering she never watches the news for fear of heartache.