Slowing Down

"JJ! Can you calm it down a bit please! I'm trying to concentrate!" yelled Rebecca sternly entering JJ's room.

"I'm sorry Becs, I'll do my best." apologised JJ solemnly.

"It's ok Jide, I didn't mean to shout, sorry." replied Becca, feeling a twang of guilt. JJ nodded his head with a slight smile on his face, acknowledging her apology.

Rebecca was an editor for a national newspaper. Being 26, she was mature, professional and good at her job. She was very much a journalist with dignity unlike many of the prominent immoral hacks that comprised the core of Britian's tabloids. She prided herself on being empathetic and understanding when writing her stories, she wanted to inject realism and truth into her work, something which did not always align with the desires of the corporate bosses of the paper, however, she had a voice she was determined to use for good and it would not be quelled. She was writing an important article about a national charity that was gaining some traction. It was a charity for raising the awareness of children with autism and how they could be helped with their growth and development and it was close to her heart as her 15 year old step-sister Sarah had autism. The deadline for the edit of her article was the next day and she wanted to make it a dignified piece, reflecting her personal experience and to elevate the profile of the charity which she had already donated to. She published the article the next day, to rousing reviews from other journalists as well as committed readers of the paper, even appearing on the news with the founders of the charity to discuss it's importance. This is what she wanted to achieve with her journalism, a positive impact on society, heightening people's understanding of important, underappreciated social issues.

Becca loved JJ. She had met him while interviewing him for an article about the rise of Youtube as a media platform. They had instantly clicked and a couple of years later, they were together, having been in a relationship for around a year and a half. She had become very well liked by all JJ's Youtube friends, especially the Sidemen, who often asked her for her opinion on problems they had as she had the intellect and pragmatism to help them out. While they had so much fun together, both JJ and Becca had high pressure jobs and this sometimes put a strain on the relationship due to the limited time they could spend with each other just to relax. JJ was sometimes too overbearing for her. She loved his quirky side and sense of humour of course, but it was a bit much on occasion and this was becoming more evident to JJ. He loved Becca but felt at times he was too immature for her and perhaps had not evolved into the person that could take the relationship to the next level. He wanted to treat her, and after all the work she had been doing, he wanted to show how much he cared for her.

"I'm taking you out for dinner Becs." said JJ smiling.

"Oh JJ, I'd love to but I have to submit my article for publishing tomorrow." replied Becca, sadness apparent in her voice and expression, she wanted to spend time with JJ but she was always so busy.

"Oh come on Becs, please! How long has it been since we've spent some quality time together? You can help change the world later, tonight, we need to be with each other." pleaded JJ.

"Do you know what, fuck it. Let's do it, but I need to be back before midnight to submit the article, otherwise I'm in the shit." replied Becca smiling.

"Yay! That's fine, we've got hours!"replied JJ smiling and dancing in a goofy manner, amusing Becca.

They had a wonderful dinner, they finally felt like a couple again, discussing how they met and how far they'd come, full of optimism for the future.

"Let's go for a quick drink, you've got two hours until you need to submit the article Becs." said JJ, hopeful the night would continue.

"Fine, but it has to be a quick one JJ, as much as I've loved tonight" replied Becca with a serious tone.