Cooking Up A Storm

"Order in!"

Kelly paid heavy attention, ready to prepare the garnish for the upcoming order.

"1 Steak, mid rare, 2 lobster ravioli, 3 Mushroom tarts"

"YES CHEF!" shouted Kelly, getting to work on her station.

She placed the garnish for the dish on the pass.

"Kelly!" yelled the head chef. She held her breath.

"Beautifully cooked thosed vegetables, keep it going yes?" he smiled

"Yes chef! Thank you chef!" replied Kelly and her confidence showed throughout the rest of service, cooking immacuately and professionally. Cooking was a difficult, stressful job, but she loved it and her passion for the industry had driven her to become a sous chef at a Michelin starred restaurant in the centre of London, at the mere age of 22. She was a hardworking, driven and determined individual and knew she wanted to own her own restaurant one day.

After her shift, she left out the front entrance, coming across a large party of people who had seemingly finished their meal shortly after the kitchen had completed all their tickets. She was about to walk past when a blonde haired boy, young in complexion spoke to her suddenly:

"Hey! Are you one of the chefs?" he asked smiling, joyful in tone. She would normally ignore such random interaction with people but this felt different, for a reason she could not figure out.

"I am indeed!" she replied smiling. "I only do the garnish though y'know, vegetables, sides and shit" she said laughing slightly, she wanted to joke, but at the same time, not demean the profession she put so much effort into.

"Well the vegetables and sides were fucking delicious!" said a shorter boy, of Indian origin.

Kelly laughed, "Thank you! That means a lot, I love cooking and put my heart and soul into it!"

"That came across in how the food tasted" said the blonde boy smiling.

Kelly then received a barrage of compliments from the others in the group, they all seemed very friendly people, something which was certainly not foreign to those in the restaurant business, but it was a high pressure environment in which perfection was demanded, especially the level Kelly cooked at.

"I'm glad you all enjoyed your meal! Have fun for the rest of the night guys and girls! Try us again sometime!" said Kelly in a slight hurry as she was eager to get home after a long shift to rest.

"Goodbye and thank you!" replied everyone in the group.

It didn't seem too significant an interaction to Kelly at the time, but to receive such compliments on her craft made her happy and that short occurence would divert her life in a direction she did not expect.

*2 Months Later*

Kelly walked outside of the restaurant after another long shift, she'd recently been promoted on the line up to the fish station, she was slowly climbing the ladder in the culinary world and she was delighted. She walked a few steps down the street until she saw the blonde haired and Indian boys she had talked to in the large party she had come across a couple of months back.

"Hi!" they both greeted smiling.

"Er hi boys..." she replied, surprised.

"We both thought the veg and sides were beautiful once again!" exclaimed the blonde boy.

"Sorry to disappoint you both, but I kind of got promoted, I'm on the fish now!" replied Kelly, with a slight tone of sarcasm in her voice, she knew her fish was good.