18 - Questioning Sexy Bois Everywhere

Start from the beginning

Park's face constricts; I can feel him shutting down - but I need him to say it, in words, because I have no idea how I feel and maybe his words will help me figure it out.

Why does he love me? How could he? How could anyone?

"I'm saying," Park starts, eyes meeting mine, "I don't know how this will end. But when it does, I hope you'll consider me." He steps around me, and heads to the garage door to leave.

My brows furrow and I whip around. "When this ends?"

When what ends?

He sighs and says softly, "I hope you keep me in mind."

And with that, he opens the door to the garage and slips back to the party, leaving me completely and utterly confused and alone.

➳♀♁➳

It takes less than three seconds alone in the garage to realize I am not in the mood to party. Glancing around the room, I spot the switch that opens the garage. My bare feet shuffle over, jump onto their tip-toes, and slap the button. The garage tumbles open with the sound like an avalanche. I step into the darkness, the world lit up by a mere collection of stars in the sky.

Rounding the side of the house, I head to the back, where I pass several couples on the deck and lawn. I roll my eyes and try not to stare at the various positions as I make my way down to the edge of the lake. Giddy voices come from the deck and I see that a few jet skis are already missing - probably for good, though I don't suppose Cora's all that worried about keeping count.

I sit at the far end of the yard, in the stretch of sand that reaches out to touch the water. Light waves stretch up to kiss my toes and it finally feels quiet enough to think.

Looking out across the water, I study the other cottages. Several have hanging lights that reflect in the inky blackness of the water. They're all quiet, lights dimmed in the windows, boats secured to the docks. The wind rustles the beach grass behind me, drowning out the sound of music and teenage noises.

High school is supposed to be fun, I think. But my junior year's been nothing but drama. Josh, the Cuddle Application, all the choices that came with college, Cora and Lina, who seemed to be on a totally different page than I was. I didn't even know what I wanted to do after high school, which lit a stress match inside of me every day that burned as a constant reminder that life wasn't easy.

"I wish I was seven again," I whisper.

"You are," comes a voice from behind me. "On a scale of one to ten."

I recognize the voice and don't turn around, too content with staring into the water. After Park's confession earlier I don't know what to think.

Oliver sits down beside me with the natural ease he always possesses. After a moment of silence, he glances at me.

"It was a joke, Sorry. You're definitely an eight."

It's enough to make me crack a smile.

"Ah-ha!" Oliver smirks. He bumps my shoulder and looks at me expectedly. "Why the long face?"

I sigh and tip back my head. The stars are arranged like sprinkles atop a bowl of ice cream. "Just wondering about life," I say finally.

He glances toward the sky and looks too. I can feel him shift closer to me, my body buzzing as his thigh presses against mine. He moves so our shoulders overlap and then points at the sky.