Chapter one- Best friend gone

Começar do início

I placed my hand on her's and gave her a small smile."Put your trust in Allah,everything would go smoothly. Maybe this is the best for you" I spoke

"What about my dreams?...I want to study, to be a doctor" she gulped.

"Somethings are just not meant to be...we should actually be thankful, in this society, where female children are married off from the age of twelve, we were allowed to go to school, till the secondary level" she nodded a little, agreeing with me.

"Still...but" she argued. "I don't even know him, how does he even look like, what are his likes and dislikes? Will he accept me?"

"You have your whole life to adjust and get to know each other, don't you think it's enough?"

We stayed up in her room talking until the adhan for maghrib was called and I rushed home before it gets dark, and before mama Saratu makes sure baba scolds me for staying late.

The next few days went by in a flash, and before I knew it, it was already the kamu ceremony. It was the first ceremony, followed by a a small walima, and then the wedding Fatiha on Saturday morning. And then my best friend is gone.

The Kamu went by smoothly, the loud drums, the women yodeling hysterically the children ecstatic and delightful and the bride glowing like the moon.

Siya(the name she calls Asiya) never let me out of her sight after the Kamu. She even asked permission from baba so I could stay with her till she leaves, and to my surprise, baba agreed.

The next morning was the walima, Siya woke up very early, before fajr. She insisted on visiting the river side for the last time.

"Please accompany me..please" She bawled

"It's your wedding tomorrow, and if someone finds out you stepped out, we'll be in big trouble" I said folding the blankets while she threw a black niqabi to my face.

"Not if we wear this" she replied smirking.

We snuck out through the back door. Loud Qur'an recitation could be heard from the northern part of the house. My hands were trembling with fear as we walked to the river.

"What if someone recognizes us?" I asked terrified, looking back for the tenth time. We reached the beautiful riverside and sat down on the bare ground, watching, as the waves moved with high current. Siya started crying after a while.

"Hey...what's wrong?" I inquired as I hugged her, slowly rubbing her back.

"I....I'll miss...you so much Leemah" she stammered sobbing loudly.

"Shh..it's okay. I'll come visit you everyday" I said and she stiffened.

"That's the problem...I won't be living here"

"Oh...don't worry my dear friend, I'll go all the way to the city to visit you" I said and she looked back at the river before she spoke.

"I'll be living in US" she said slowly and I felt my chest tighten.

"It's alright...I'll still send you letters" I managed to say. My best friend, is getting married tomorrow, and then she's moving to US forever. I felt the tears run down my cheeks, and I made no attempt to clean them.

We sat there and cried our hearts out for what seemed like hours, before she took both my hand and looked straight into my eyes.

"Whatever might be in the future, I want you to know that you're the best friend I've ever wished for, I want you to know that you mean more than a friend to me, you're my sister, a sister that always protects me, that always saves me from mama's wrath whenever I commit an offense. You're that childhood friend that knows every secret of mine. The one we did everything together, we learned how to walk, to talk, to write. And we even learned how to ride a bicycle without our parents knowledge.." She beamed at her last sentence and I could feel the memories flood back.

"I want you to know that I love you so much, and I'll always do. Thank you for everything. May Allah reward you with the highest rank of Jannah" she spoke and I hugged her tightly.

She held my hand yet again before she continued. "I don't have anything to give you for everything you've done for me.." She said. "But if I ever give birth to a son, he'll surely marry your daughter. I promise you that" she sealed her promise with a courteous smile and I placed my hands on top her's.

"My daughter will surely marry your son" I said

And our little promise was sealed, with the exquisite waves and the dazzling blue clouds as our witnesses.

******

The marriage ceremony was conducted with the waliy(representative) of both the bride and groom. The groom was in US and was not present.

There was loud celebrations after the wedding and the bride was seen off with two old women to escort her to her new home.

Her eyes were red and puffy from all the crying as I hugged her for the last time. She was standing in front of the car that'll take her to the airport and she refused to let go off me until I promised I'll send letters every week.

And then she left. My best friend was gone.

And I felt as if she took a part of me with her.

*******

Hello!

Ladies and gentlemen...chapter one is done✔️show me you like it...so I would be more encouraged in this book1🤒

How was chapter one? Feedbacks please.

Please share this story with your friends, tag as many people as possible to properly publicize the book. Also, please vote on every chapter you read, it helps a lot.

Thanks

Husnah💋