Chapter Thirty-Two

Start from the beginning

The doors closed and we started moving.

"Kane?"

"Yes?"

"Promise me we will always have something to talk about?"

"I promise beautiful, we will always have something to talk about. What made you think about that?"

"Some couples spend all day with each other and couldn't come up with something to talk about if they wanted to. That couple has been together for decades and have something to talk about. They chatted the whole way through the aquarium, and as they were walking."

"Yeah, I like that we always have something to talk about. Although, even when we are quiet, it's not awkward, it's comfortable."

The elevator chimed and we walked out, "Yeah, I'm not complaining. And even when we are quiet, there is something we could talk about. I just don't want it to get to a point where there is nothing to talk about."

"That time will never come, I promise."

"Thank you."

My life has had enough silence, now I just want someone to either share it with me comfortably, or not have it.

He handed me stuff to dice up, I started but he looked at me with a what-are-you-doing-that-for? face.

"What? Is this wrong?"

"No, not wrong. It's just faster if you hold the knife different and stand so you can lean over it."

"Oh." I moved and he laughed, "Kane, what's wrong now?"

He walked over and placed his arms around me, placing his hands on mine, and cut a couple times, "Like that."

"Okay," I tried it and he smiled.

"You're a fast learner."

"I think I just have a good teacher."

"Although a part of me is happy, if you were a slower learner I could've kept you in my arms longer."

"You're such a guy. But your arms do feel nice around me. They're so strong and sure."

"Strong and sure?"

"Yes. You know what you're doing and do it, whereas I'm slow and clumsy."

"With a little practice you'll be fine."

"I will keep practicing then."

I felt like I was a chef in a fancy restaurant chopping away like I knew what I was doing. I finished quicker than I usually did and handed them to him, "You're right, that was much faster. Thank you."

"You're welcome."

"What are we having?"

"Something my sister used to like. It was something I would make for her birthday, or when she had a rough day. It seemed to lighten her mood. It's just sliced baked potato wedges, which we always melted cheese on, and I serve it with grilled salmon and salad, although sometimes fries or coleslaw, depending."

"You're sister was lucky to have you."

"I was lucky to have her."

I smiled and looked down, he had never taken his family for granted and he only had his sister, I had two sisters and two parents and I had read rather than doing things with them, or rolling around making memories.

"Dani?" I looked up, "Don't be sad."

"I'm not sad."

"Liar."