The eyes are mirrors of the soul

Start from the beginning

"You turned red, so I guess I did it right." Jean chuckled and got back to the kitchen to finish his miso soup, apparently ignoring the non stopping stare Armin wasn't able to control.

"Y-yeah." Armin, calm down. Breath and try not to faint again. The messy mind was replaced by a messy stomach, filled by tickling sensations that were increasing dangerously. Luckily, short after that Jean grabbed his bag, put his shoes on and they walked out the building while Jean gave Armin some information about his plans.

"We're going to a place I really loved, and don't worry I won't drag you through clubs"

"What place is that?"

"I can't spoil a surprise. You'll have to wait and see."

"Ahh..." Armin sighed and gave up on trying to make the older speak. He had never been the best persuading people anyways. "But can you at least tell me how are we going to get there?"

"I borrowed Sasha's car." He threw the key in the air just to catch it a second later, and stopped in front of a dark blue and gray Mini.

"She let you take her car to Tokyo?"

"I didn't actually say where were we going..." Jean scratched his neckband laughed nervously.

"If she finds out she'll hit you with a pan." Armin chuckled and watched how nervous was his friend. It felt strange for such a tough looking guy to be so harmless and even shy sometimes.

"Then this will have to be our secret. Jump in." Jean opened the door for Armin who sat on the passenger seat and closed it. Jean sat on the driver's, started the car and soon they were on the road.

"I didn't know you got a license."

"Yep. But I sold my car so now I'm a driver with no car."

"You sold it? Why?"

"I needed money for some stuff for my music, and the money from my job is to pay the bills, so yeah..."

"By the way, no news from that job?"

"Not yet. They receive many applications from really talented people."

"People like you." Jean turned to Armin for a moment, smiled and looked back at the road.

Something in the air changed and it was... Nice. Maybe it was the constant smile on both their faces, the music on the radio, the sun entering through the windows. Something must have been because suddenly the destination didn't matter, the mess in Armin's head cleared, the heavy feeling disappeared. He hummed along to the music and encouraged Jean to sing since it was clear he wanted to, and they ended up having their own concert on the road with invisible instruments and gaps filled by the obvious 'lalala' screamed like it was a legit part of the songs. The conversation flowed easily, from laughing at Jean's bad jokes to a class of anatomy that Armin decided Jean needed since he couldn't understand how his left lung and his heart could fit in such a small place.

"I can understand my case, but how small must yours be to fit in such a tiny body?" Armin laughed for 10 minutes at that. "I can't make you laugh at my jokes, but I ask you something serious and suddenly you're about to die of a laugh attack."

Yeah, it was an interesting trip. They changed from one subject to another and Armin didn't realize Jean had already parked the car because he was too busy explaining why he almost set his kitchen on fire once.

"Mikasa threw a bunch of water at me to extinguish the fire and I think that was the closest I've been of dying in my own house."

"How many times have you put yourself in danger in your own apartment? Wait. I'm living right upon you and I don't know if I have to be worried about my own safety right now."