Chapter 33 : Enter, A Venture

Amidst all the sudden confusion, I realized Jake's voice was perfectly calm.

And he was completely himself. Not a single trace of sarcasm, not the slightest hint of contempt, or disdain.
In fact, he smiled.

He smiled!

'Jake!' I said not so very loudly.
'Ohhhhh,' Tyler groaned beside me, 'Why the heck are you here?'
Jake just rolled his eyes at him.

'Actually, we're here too.' Zayla said, stepping out along with Luke from behind Jake.
'Hi.' Luke waved cheerfully.
'Wow! This is great! I'm so pleased!' Tyler scoffed.
'You are?' I asked sarcastically.
'No!' Tyler exhaled, irritated, 'Why are you guys here?'
'Oh, you know, we just came to crash your date.' Zayla said and winked at me.
'Not to mention we were hungry.' Jake said and popped the last French fry on my plate into his mouth.

'Oh my god. . . . . ' Tyler dragged his words and rested his face on his propped up elbows.
'Sorry buddy, but the date's over.' Luke said, shrugging, 'Come on, Valerie.' Luke grabbed my hand and started to lead me out of the pizzeria.
'Wait, but-' I began to protest.
'We were discussing serious matters, you know!' Tyler hollered.

But we were unheard, of course.

'You can come too, if you want to.' Jake said to Tyler as he and Zayla started to walk behind me.
Tyler raised his eyebrows,
'And you're okay with this?' He asked and looked pointedly at me.
'Not completely, to be honest.' I replied.
Tyler and I were gonna read the diary. It was definitely a very serious and important thing.
'Where are you guys gonna go anyway?' I asked the three.
Luke smirked,
'On an outing.'
'And we decided to include you too.' Jake said, scrunching up his nose at Tyler, 'Yeah, you're welcome.'
Tyler clenched his fist.

'But Tyler just told me how to read the words written down in this diary!' I exclaimed before they could continue.
'Woah, seriously?'
'Really?'
'Awesome!'
Luke, Jake and Zayla commented rapidly.

Zayla was stupefied,
'Tell me what you did!' She almost screamed at Tyler.
'But we don't have time right now.' Luke interrupted.
'But isn't this black book more important?' Zayla asked.

'It's called the Hel diary by the way.' I added.
'The hell diary?' Luke asked.
'No, the H-E-L diary.' I corrected him.
'So, what is this other more important thing?' Tyler asked with way too much boredom. And seconds ago he was bursting with laughter and excitement.

'We'll tell you when we get there.' Jake said.
'Why?' Tyler emphasised.
'Because it's none of your business.' Jake shot back.
'Oh it kinda is. Right now, I'm more important to Valerie than anybody else in this place.' Tyler said, his index finger pointing at me.
'I-'
'Oh yeah? Stop assuming things Tyler.' Jake interrupted me.
'Guys l-'
'You think I'm assuming stuff? Okay then, why don't we just ask her?' Tyler said, with a challenging tone, cutting me short again.

Both boys turned to me.

'And you both are just gonna stay silent?' I asked, glaring at Luke and Zayla.
'I guess we could spare a few minutes then.' Luke replied, staring at his watch.
'Answer them Valerie. Let them know.' Zayla said instead of protesting along with me, crossing her hands over her chest.
'I thought we were in this together now.' I complained, still staring at Zayla, 'And stop smirking already.'
Tyler and Jake stood their ground.

'Oh damn, it's almost eight. Hurry up, Valerie! Just answer their dang question already.' Luke exclaimed.
'You need me more right now. Admit it.' Tyler said in a low tone, his eyes shining with sincerity again.
Jake did not look at me.
'Okay, seriously? This is so stupid.' I said, rolling my eyes, 'I can't believe you guys are actually asking me such a dumb question. You both are very important to me. I thought that was obvious. In fact,' I turned to Luke and Zayla, 'You two too. I can't imagine where I would've been if it weren't for you four.'