"never take more than you can carry"

"congratulations on your first theft, tozier

"congratulations on your first theft, tozier. i'm honoured i was there to witness it" — grace gisbourne

🚲🚲🚲

I woke up early the next morning, which I found a little strange considering I don't normally—willingly—wake up until about 10. But then I remembered that I had gone to bed quite early the night before, and despite how early it was, I did feel quite well-rested. I lazily got out of bed with a small sigh and stretched out my limbs, smiling once I felt the satisfying 'crack' of my joints.

My bedroom was just the bare minimum. One window and four white walls with a single bed shoved in the corner. I had a small desk that came with the house along with a little mirror hanging next to the window. My clothes and my other very-few valuables were still in boxes stacked in the corner. I grimaced at those boxes, feeling especially unmotivated to empty them any time soon. I mean, it's not like I had drawers in my room to put them in, anyway. I had a closet, but no hangers. What a shame...

I walked over to my window and opened my curtains. My room was all the way at the end of the house so the only view I had was of our little backyard. Just our small, overgrown garden, a washing line, and a back fence that lead into an alleyway that separated us from the pharmacy behind us. We didn't even have any trees or bushes and our fence looked like it was barely holding up. Overall, our new place looked like a dump, but I wasn't about to admit that to Mom. She had worked hard for this shithole, and I was sure as shit going to appreciate it.

I caught a glimpse of my reflection in the mirror and couldn't help but frown. Out of everyone in my small family, I was the one unlucky enough to not be blessed with the good-looking genes. Will had taken them all. He was the one everyone turned their heads to look at. He was tall, and well built even for only 17. He had a head of luscious auburn locks and cheekbones that could cut salami. He had my father's build and my mother's eyes, and I would be lying if I said I wasn't jealous.

And what did I have? Long, matted hair that curled in awkward places and became a frizz-bomb if I brushed it. Stupid freckles on my lips from a life-time spent in the sun and one ugly dimple that ran long-ways down my cheek and made me look like I had a double chin. I was 5 foot nothing and was really shit at school, which was partly the reason why I didn't care about dropping out. No more feeling stupid and getting humiliated in front of a class for not knowing the answer, right? The only thing I had going for me was my teeth. Straight and white, each tooth perfectly aligned with the other. But other than that? I was nothing special. Just plain, boring Grace.

I sometimes hated the person that stared back at me in the mirror, and this morning was one of those times. I grimaced even more and looked away. Why was I so...shit? I thought of Bev, how she was so pretty and tall and had all the boys staring at her. She didn't even need to try. She was a natural, care-free beauty. Why couldn't I be more like her?