Chapter 14 - Operation Jerk

"That's far enough," Jess clipped, and put her hand up. "Seriously Ryan, what in the fuck is going on?"

"Just wanted to see you. Seriously. Heather said you've been miserable and—"

"Cut the crap Ryan. What did you mean by 'I know why she killed him?' Are you trying to be this pathetic, or does it come naturally?"

She crossed her arms. The sweat on her palms wicked off onto her jacket, and more was soaking into her bra. Was he just being a jerk, or did he know something? She kept her eyes glued to him, slowly breathing to calm her nerves. She didn't like this one bit.

He was so different from Shaun, and she went there, comparing them as he paced. Ryan was willowy and lean, Shaun had depth and muscle. Ryan lacked confidence in himself, to the core. He was a smart guy, but never pursued college because he didn't think he could do it. It was all she could do not to scream when he would launch into his pity tirade about how life was shitty and not fair. Shaun had always known his calling, and from all indications, was good at it with a quiet seriousness. She liked his decisiveness, his ability to control a situation. It was attractive. This neurotic behavior, which was standard operating procedure for Ryan, was not. She did, at that point, wonder what in Hell she had seen in him.

"Well?" she prodded. "I don't want to be here, and I would rather get back to Aunt and Uncle, thanks. We've all been through shit the past two days."

"Or your cop boyfriend?" he sneered.

"Not your business, Ryan. Quit trying to change the subject."

"Ok, I overheard your dad talking on the phone at work the other day, in the break room. I didn't know he was your dad. But he said that someone he was trying to hide from was getting too close."

Jess shook her head. "Okay, but how does that indicate you know why?"

Ryan paced back the other way, his hands in and out of his pockets, obviously upset. She had a brief notion to reach to him, calm him, but held it in check. He looked up at her and threw his hands up.

"He said 'she was dangerous' and that he couldn't let her get wind that he was here. That was all. Something to do with protecting someone, but then everyone has baggage right? Even you, it seems."

"You think?" Jess snorted. "But not the point right now, Ryan. Why didn't you come forward with this? Why tell me?"

"I don't know Jessie, I just needed to tell somebody and then when the news said that Mike was your Dad, I just kind of—" He stopped, shrugging.

"Kind of what?"

"I thought you might help me. I think he might have been protecting you. And I wanted to help you, because I fucked up everywhere else. Big time."

So, there it was. Her dad was back here to keep an eye on her. It made sense, because otherwise why would he risk being so close yet not making contact with her? Maybe her mom was coming back, and he didn't want her to go to the ranch. Or maybe something else had happened. She had no idea. She backed up a step, and put her hands in her pockets.

"Ryan, you haven't fucked up."

"Yeah, I have. With you, with all this—" he gestured to the building. "I should take the blame for this."

"What? That's ridiculous. Just come with me, and you can talk to Mack, he's the lead detective. He can help you make a statement," Jess implored, as calmly as possible. Ryan was starting to lose control, and she backed up again. This wasn't going how she wanted.

"I can't, okay? I can't! I don't want to go to jail!" he half-yelled, half-sobbed, starting towards her quickly, his hands diving into his pockets, fumbling with the right one spastically. He was within reach of her, so she backed up again.