Chapter 22

Connor's POV

I was surrounded by images, images of myself,  images of my family and images of her.  Each time I took a look at those images they vanished.   They shimmered away and a new image appeared.  I wasn't sure where I was or why I was seeing these images,  but I didn't question it either.  I lean back taking in all the images until I felt myself being pulled away from the small room I was in.   My entire body was being yanked and I let it happen.   Suddenly I was in complete darkness and I felt myself floating. 

"Connor, " a distant voice yelled.   My head began to pound and I felt dizzy at the same time.   Why did I feel so disoriented?  I close my eyes briefly,  the urge to open them hitting me heavily.   My eye lids felt sealed shut and I couldn't find the strength to reopen them.   Taking a deep breath I mustered all the strength I had in me and opened my eyes,  the sound of beeping filling my ears and the image of my mother standing over me gazing back at me filled my mind.

"What happened? " I croaked.   My throat was itchy,  and I felt like I hadn't had anything to drink in days. 

She gave me a smile and took my hand squeezing it.  "You're awake," she said in a soft tone.  She seemed to be happy,  but I was still confused.   What had happened to me? I remember being in the car driven by some guy... and He shot me.  The realization of what happened hit me hard and I opened my mouth in shock.  

Why had I been shot?

My mother patted my chest and stood up abruptly.  "Connor,  let me go retrieve your physician. "

I nodded and my mother practically sprinted out of the room.  I wanted to laugh,  but my mind was replete with thoughts.   Who was the guy that shot me and why had he shot me? Did I did something to him or was he doing this for someone else? I sigh,  tilting my head to see Jennifer's bracelet.   I frowned,  reaching over and picking the small gift up. 

Where was Jennifer?  The question had my head spinning and several thoughts circled through it. 

"Connor,  you need to rela -" My mother's sentence stopped and I looked up to see her glaring at the bracelet in my hand. 

"Connor... " she trailed off,  looking towards the window. 

"Where is Jennifer? " I ask,  attempting to sit up.  My mother placed her hand on my chest gently pushing me back down against the bed.

"Lay back.  I'll tell you what's going on," she assured me.  Her face held a blank expression.  I didn't know what to think of it,  but it had me feeling as if the worst had happened. 

"Mum,  why is Jennifer's bracelet here?  Why doesn't she have it?" My brows pull together in confusion. 

She lets out a deep breath and takes a seat next to me.  I wanted to know so much, but right now Jennifer's whereabouts were the most important thing to me.  I felt my heart pounding against the inside of my chest and my legs becoming restless as I waited anxiously to hear what my mother had to say. 

"Jennifer is in the states for her own safety." I opened my mouth to say something, but she held up her hand stopping my protest.  "When you were shot,  someone sent her a warning and broke into her home.   I sent her back to the states to insure that she was safe. She's in a vulnerable state right now."

"What do you mean?" I was even more confused.   What had happened to Jennifer that put her in a vulnerable state?

"Just know she's safe,  you'll be able to see her in a little while,  we just have to make sure things are safe Connor.   Someone is trying to harm her, I just want to insure that she's safe,  okay? "