Chapter 12

Two Years Later.

"Prince Connor and Caitlyn attended the global..." I turned the volume down on the television.  This is why I hated watching E!.  Devin walked into the room, a smile on his face. 

"What's got you so excited?" I ask, eyeing him curiously.

"I got the job, I'm starting next week,"He explains.

I embraced him in a warm hug.  "I'm happy for you, now if only I was so lucky.  This is the second job that I've lost.  This time it wasn't my fault.  Mr. Carson was being a pig and he hit on me too many times to count."

"I'm glad you quit, its only right.  Hey, uh I saw the news about —"

"I'd rather not talk about it, D," I say, standing from the couch.  I walked into the kitchen, but he followed closely behind me.

"And I respect that, but could you please tell me what happened?"

"Its been two years, I barely remember." I open the fridge and take out the bottle of wine, I consistently enjoyed. I reach into the cabinets and pull out one of my many wine glasses. I poured myself a cup of wine.

"Or are you trying to forget?"

"D, please.  Connor is my past, I want to leave him there."

I had left England two years ago and returned to the United States.  Staying in England was pointless.  I didn't have a job, I was heartbroken and things were not looking up for me.  As soon as I got the chance I left.  I got away as quickly as I possibly could.  Connor called me, texted me, emailed me and sent me letters.  He even flew over here to find me. Luckily I was away in Atlanta when he came.  When I had discovered that he had come, I went to Hawaii for a year. 

It helped ease my mind, giving me   much needed perspective.  When I came back from my isolated retreat I heard about the miscarriage. I felt bad for the both of them and that's when it all stopped.  He stopped writing and calling and texting.  I kept his letters, every single one.

Devin shrugs. "I'll see you later."

"Okay." I turned back to the counter and placed my palms down in front of me, dropping my head.  My mind began racing. Brief flashbacks gnawing at me.  I shook my head, trying to clear my mind. 

I lifted my head, taking the wine in my hand and downing the entire glass.

I place the glass in the sink and grab the bottle, walking into the living room.  I took a seat on the couch and stared ahead, the bottle of wine tightly held in my hand.

"Stop crying so much, Jennifer," Leslie said, rubbing my back. I shook my head dismissing the ideaI was heart broken, I deserved to cry a little. m

Only in my freshman year of college and my boyfriend, who I believed I
loved very much had cheated on me. I was a little depressed

"Les, he told me he loved me.  How could he just lie like that?"