Snozzleangeraur

Happy NaNoWriMo! I got a good start this morning and the chapter flowed very well. Please remember, of course, this is rough draft, just wrote this morning. I've checked it for typos, but that's it. Still, I think it certainly reads very well. I enjoyed writing it anyway!

Okay, enjoy!

Ami shot to her feet and stared at the girl. "Who—what—I mean, how—?" She gestured helplessly. She couldn't believer her eyes. Except for the lovely burnished skin of the girl, and the curly dark hair, the girl was her exact twin. Grandfather had a little mirror on the wall at home that she used to brush and braid her long hair, so she did know what she looked like...both before and after bathing.

The girl shook her head. "Yes, that's exactly what I meant to ask you."

Ami laughed despite herself. "Oh my. We even have the same sense of humor."

The girl grinned, her teeth gleaming whitely in the moonlight—disturbingly like Ami's smile. "I'm Sophie," the girl said, holding out a hand.

Ami looked at the hand and then at Sophie, puzzled. "What am I to do with that?"

Sophie looked disconcerted. "Um. Shake it?"

Ami shrugged. "Alright. But I'm sure I don't see the point of that." She grasped the girl by the wrist and wriggled it energetically.

Sophie giggled. "No, no, like this." She clasped Ami's hand and pumped up and down a couple times. "This is the way people say hello where I come from."

"Oh," said Ami. "It's...odd. But kind of nice. I'm Ami, by the way."

"A pleasure to meet you, Ami."

Ami suddenly realized there were several creatures around Sophie, watching them curiously. She glanced warily at the unusual creature who had awakened her. "And who are your companions?"

The creature bounced on it hind feet and tugged at her skirt with a long arm. "I'm Shagfry, pretty girlie. Yes, Shagfry the Kangapen, that is me, that is me!"

She giggled and took his paw in her hand. "A pleasure Shagfry." She pumped his paw up and down as Ami had shown her.

The other creatures surged around her now. They were tiny little things, and now on closer inspection she realized they appeared to be...toys? Stuffed animals and dolls?!

"I'm Aster," a tiny blue bear said shyly, and hid its face behind it paws.

"Mayer Ears at your service," a squat brown dog said pompously. Sophie coughed loudly and the dog harrumped. "That is..err...formerly mayor of the lovely isle of Silvenshire. There's been a recent Olitical Pupheaval it seems and..."

"Oh hush, Ears," on of the dolls said. "She doesn't care about all that. Ma'am I'm Katie and this is my twin, Cindi."

Cindi giggled and waved a hand. "Hullo."

"I'm pleased to meet you all," said Ami. "And where are you all heading?"

"The Ivory Isle," said Sophie. "At least for the moment."

"Oh!" Ami blinked. "That's interesting. So am I."

"Ooh!" Cindi exclaimed. "You can come with us then!"

"Shh!" Katie said. "Maybe she likes to be alone."

"What?" Said Cindi. "Who would like that? I just thought she'd like to know we'd like to have her—"

"Don't see pro besumptious." Ears sniffed.

"He means don't be so presumptious," Aster whispered, noticing Ami's puzzled look.