He would've preferred to speak to the chief of House Brynjir immediately, but he'd take what he could get. Rubbing the back of his neck, he gave the woman an appreciative glance.

"Thank you again for taking us in. I know House Tenebris and House Brynjir don't get along, so I appreciate your hospitality."

"I don't have a problem with you shadoweavers." She sent him a wry smile. "Though, Achilles might not be too happy to see you. He and your father have a...tricky relationship."

Sebastian groaned into his hand.

"I can see that you really care for her," Catherine said. "Everyone always said you two would make a great couple ever since you were children." She peered out the window and at the fading moon. "Fate has a funny way of bringing people back together."

His face reddened.

"We're not a couple," he told her.

"You're not? Could've fooled me."

Sebastian rolled his eyes.

"Take care of her." Catherine patted his shoulder. She gestured at the tea on the table. "And make sure she drinks that."

"I will. Thank you."

The woman nodded and left the room. In her absence, he mulled over her words.

Was it that obvious?

The sound of bed sheets rustling hit his ears. Sitting up in his chair, he rubbed his eyes and peered at the girl in the bed beside him. It was the first time he had seen her move. A hopeful glint brightened his eyes.

Through the window opposite him, he took note of the sun's position in the dark blue sky above. Morning was approaching.

Makaela shifted again, her eyes moving rapidly behind her eyelids.

He shot up from his chair, nearly tripping over himself, and knelt next to her. Gently brushing her wet curls out her face, he watched her intently as she emerged from her prolonged slumber.

Golden eyes met his umber ones. Flecks of brown dotted her brilliant irises as he stared deeply into them. She blinked a few times, freezing against the cot as she looked around. Confusion filled her face. Fear followed.

He quickly placed his hands on her shoulders, urging her to calm down.

She whimpered, body shaking as she stared back at him. Her bottom lip trembled. Tears threatened to spill down her cheeks.

"Where..." She swallowed hard before continuing. "Where am I?"

"The infirmary," he answered. Smiling, he stroked the top of her head. Her hair was softer than sheep's wool. "You're safe. We made it to Hodvekt."

A sigh of relief left her lips. She dropped back onto the bed and closed her eyes again. Then she started coughing. She was able to croak out a single word before being afflicted by the coughs again.

Water.

Sebastian swiftly grabbed the mug one of the healers left on the table next to her bed. While it wasn't water, the brew inside would help her feel better. The herbalists within the village made her a tea that would assist with rebuilding her vitalae reserves. It would take some time, but she should've been back in top shape within the next day or so.

He brought the cup to her quaking lips and ordered her to drink.

She did.

"Thank you," she said breathlessly after wiping her mouth. A smile settled on her mouth. "I can't believe we made it."