I blinked as, all of a sudden, it clicked together in my mind. "You think the break-up was just an act," I murmured.

"Duh," Carlie said, drawing out the word. "Just like my thing with Stevie. You can't honestly think I'd choose him over you. I mean, really."

"It was my idea." I hadn't noticed her before, but Carlie's mom, Dina, was sitting next to her daughter. She smiled at me as she spoke, her heavily made-up face stretching with the expression.

I looked away, fuming silently. "And did no one think to give me a heads up on this? Was it 'let's keep secrets from Caleb' day?"

"Honey, I know you must be upset," Dina began, but I cut her off.

"No, Dina," I snarled sarcastically, "I'm not upset at all! After all, I just love being cheated on!"

Dina pursed her lips.

"Son, you don't understand," my dad said quickly. "Carlie wasn't actually cheating on you."

"I realize that!" I shouted. "It was all fake! But for some reason, no one ever told me about it! Why?" I scanned the room, and though no one responded, I saw a hint of shifting in Carlie's features. Her hands twisted in absent discomfort.

"I'm done," I announced, shaking my head. "This isn't worth my time."

"Don't you get it, Caleb?" Carlie demanded suddenly. "This was all for us!"

I froze mid-step and glanced over my shoulder. "Is that so?"

"God, you're such an idiot." She made a frustrated sound in the back of her throat. "I was going to surprise you, alright? You've been such a good boyfriend, so I figured I'd do one last big booster, just to make sure we were Chosen. I thought that it'd be a nice thing to do. You know, for us."

"Just drop the act, Carlie," I hissed. "If you really understood me, you'd know that boosters aren't my style. And besides; we all know you never cared about me at all."

She opened her mouth to argue, but was interrupted by her mother.

"What are you talking about?" Dina shrieked incredulously. "Carlie loves you!"

I laughed, it was just so funny to me. Carlie had hardly ever even _liked_ me, much less loved. Our relationship had arisen purely because of convenience and necessity. Carlie's mom wasn't stupid; the idea that she could be oblivious to her daughter's true feelings was just absurd.

"Yeah, right," I said dryly. "Of all people, Dina, you should know that isn't true."

She didn't respond.

My dad looked as if, for once, he was about to lose his cool. Before he could, though, Carlie spoke up.

"Steven, Reese, Mom," she interjected quietly, getting to her feet, "maybe I should talk to Caleb. Like, alone?"

"Of course!" Mom nodded encouragingly. Before I could react, Carlie entwined our hands and pulled me aside, into an adjoining room that served as our entertainment center.

I shook her off as soon as we were out of sight.

"What is wrong with you?" she demanded. "What kind of game are you playing?"

"I'm not the one playing games."

"Really, Caleb? Then tell me: what were you doing with that Loser yesterday night? If this isn't a game, then what is it?"

I hadn't even opened my mouth to respond before Carlie continued. "I know you weren't with her to use her as a booster. Like you said, that's not your style. So now I'm wondering why, if not for that reason."