Belonging

Two weeks later

     Brooke watched as Jasmine skipped down the stairs with a huge smile gracing her face.  These past few days, they've been hanging out with each other, and Brooke secretly could not get enough of her. Something about her set her aflame. It's like she understood her without her having to say any words, and that made Brooke feel as if she finally belong somewhere.

"So, I was wondering why don't we come up with a personal story for this project," Jasmine said in an excited voice once she finally reached Brooke.

"I don't know, Jasmine. As you can see, I'm not really the open type, so getting personal may be a problem."

"Ugh. Come on Brooke. Think of this as some spiritual healing !"

"Who's to say that I need any healing?"

"Any person who closes themselves off from the world is screaming for help."

"What's that suppose to mean?" Brooke asked with an edge in her voice. "Is that the reason why you decided to speak to me? Because you think I'm some charity case needing to be fixed. Well, news flash: you aren't any better than me to deem yourself a fixer," Brooke said with spite as she grabbed her things to leave.

"I think we are better off doing this project alone."

"Aww, come on Brooke.  Don't be like this. I didn't even mean it in that way. Please, let me explain," Jasmine begged.

"NO! I will not let you explain because every time I let a person explain; I'm left feeling either disappointed or playing the got damn fool. And in your case, I feel I'm going to be left playing a fool just by the way you are. I can tell that your aura will sweet talk me until I'm falling in the palm of your hand over and over again, and I refuse to be in such a predicament ever again," Brooke cried as she pointed her finger against Jasmine's chest.

Jasmine slowly lowered Brooke's finger as she tried to speak to her in a calm and collected voice, "Brooke listen to me. I thought you would know me better than this..."

"How could I? I've only known you for two weeks," Brooke said while cutting Jasmine off.

"And in those two weeks, we've gotten closer than most people could possibly imagine. So why won't you just listen to me?"

"Because to listen means that I care, and people who care only wants to listen."

"Are you trying to say you don't care for me?"

"Goodness sakes Jasmine, I've only known you for so long. What could you possibly expect? I've already told you, I don't do that personal shit, so why would I care for you in this little amount of time."

Jasmine glared at Brooke before saying, "It's not like I expected much from you, to begin with, it's just that it's a human thing to care. Just like you can't put a time limit on love, neither can you do that with someone cares," Jasmine says in frustration. 

"Whatever," Brooke said while continuing to leave.

"Maybe you are right! We are better off working alone, and not ever being friends," Jasmine said as she stormed off in the other direction. 

       This caused Brooke to stopped mid-step as she processed what Jasmine had said.  Did she really lose her opportunity of being friends with the one person who understood her more than anyone she has ever met? And that meant a lot since she's been alive for 20 years....
So much for belonging, Brooke thought as she continued to find her way back to her lonely dorm.