The knight feinted left, then thrust forward with a strength that sent Tam stumbling back. Whoa - for a first fight, this game was pretty serious. Behind him, Jennet let out a cry, but all Tam’s attention was focused on his adversary. He had a feeling he couldn’t afford to lose this fight, but how could he possibly win?

He stabbed at the knight, who blocked his sword with a bone-shaking counterstroke. Damn, the guy wasn’t even using a shield. A series of hard blows rained down on Tam. Breath scraping his throat, he fell back under the power of that relentless assault. His shield arm began to ache from the jarring impact of the Black Knight’s blade.

Slowly, the knight pressed forward. None of Tam’s attacks seemed to touch him, though he was pretty sure he’d dented the guy’s armor in a couple places. Tam couldn’t let him get to Jennet. He risked a quick glance at her, to see that she was somehow frozen in a block of clear ice. Her staff was raised and her mouth was open, as if she’d been caught mid-yell.

Clang! Another blow to his shield forced Tam’s attention back to the battle. Ok. This was just an in-game fight. An intense one, sure, but there was a pattern here. Every game had a certain level of predictability, if you paid enough attention.

One, two, three sweeping strikes, then the Black Knight lifted his sword for an overhand slice. It wasn’t the first time the knight had made that series of moves. Tam scrambled out of the way, saving his strength. He wouldn’t attack again until the moment was right - but he still had to keep those deadly sword strokes at bay. He hoped his shield wouldn’t crack under the force of those massive blows.

The knight’s sword slid across his shield, then continued slicing down. Ow! The blade nicked him in the vulnerable area just above his gauntlets. It didn’t feel like a dangerous cut, but it stung. Tam sucked in his breath and kept fighting, kept watching. That combo of moves had to come soon.

Sure enough, after another punishing rain of strikes, the knight began that same series of swings Tam had seen before. This was it - his opening. He backed up and took a firm grip on his sword.

Now! The knight lifted his sword for the overhand attack, and Tam lunged forward with all his strength, the tip of his blade pointed straight toward the Black Knight’s chest.

His sword connected with a hollow thunk, then stuck right in the center of the knight’s armor. The Black Knight froze in place.

Silence descended, marred only by Tam’s ragged breaths. Slowly, he pulled his blade free. It was unmarked by blood, but there was a hole in the knight’s chest plate. Had he won?

“Tamlin,” the Black Knight said, his voice low and grave. “First fight to you.” He raised his sword in a half-salute. Then, just as suddenly as he had dismounted, he was once again astride his horse.

“Well well!” Puck cried, a merry note in his voice. “A fight fairly won.” He gestured at Jennet. The ice block cracked open, and she took a quick, stumbling step forward.

She glared at the sprite. “Unfair! You didn’t need to—”

“Of a surety, I did.” Puck swung about at the end of her staff. “A noble impulse, to aid your champion, but forbidden nonetheless. But you, Tamlin…”

“Yes?” He sheathed his sword, but kept his hand resting lightly on the hilt.

“You are a truer champion than I would have guessed. Well fought, indeed. And now, in parting, I have a gift to bestow on you.” He brought one cupped hand to his mouth and puffed.

Glittering dust blew across Tam’s face.

“What the?” He coughed and he took a step backward.