Chapter 12 - The Losers Club

"If you're nothing without the suit, then you shouldn't have it."

~ Tony Stark (Iron Man)

The three supers said goodbye to Taylor, Ian, and John at the top floor. It was best, they had decided, that Ian and John confront Midnight with Taylor as backup. It was relatively agreed that Arctic Frost, Wild Fire, and Black Knight would be the most help trying to apprehend and restrain April Watson in the presence of X. Their powers would give them the biggest advantage.

Anakin McPhail had no time to figure out how he was going to get April, he just knew that he had to. He had to save her somehow. She was being manipulated. The real April Watson would never choose a villain over her family.

The real April Watson wouldn't have murdered White Knight.

The trio was an odd couple. Two villains and a hero. Not to mention Ross and Celeste still felt a bit uncomfortable around Anakin. Sure, Celeste herself was a villain, but that didn't mean the two had much in common. Celeste had done what she did for the kids growing up in Oakland with nothing, like she had. Anonymous donations kept the neighborhood programs running smoothly. Black Knight did what he did, it seemed, just to give White Knight a reason to fight. Taking over the city was definitely not an interest of Arctic Frost. They were different breeds.

All the while, Ross was finding it hard containing his superhero persona. In front of him stood two of Kingdom City's worst villains. They were both in full costume, and he had to keep reminding himself that they were on the same team as him for once.

Celeste especially was hard to ignore. As Arctic Frost she looked nothing like the girl he fell for in history class. It was no wonder he couldn't connect them as the same person. Arctic Frost was all ice and white hair. The wig did the job of hiding her real hair and making her seem paler. The two personas looked nothing alike, and yet they were the same girl.

When they reached the room where they thought April was being held, Anakin took the lead. Hopefully it would only be April in there. Hopefully having Ross and Celeste there would be overkill that they didn't need to use. Hopefully.

"Hello, supers." The sinister voice seemed to come from every corner of the room.

X.

He appeared from a door on the other side of the room. Just as haunting as he was rumored to be. Blood red hair seemed to almost drip from his head and his cheekbones were rough like sandpaper. Eyes that seemed to stare into the soul reminded Celeste of a hungry cat. All he needed was a swishing tail.

After years of being locked away in Alcatraz, X had cleaned up the rest of his look. He was wearing a striking red suit to match the hair, making him appear to have been soaked in blood.

He must've achieved the desired reactions, because he grinned at the trio, seemingly without a care in the world.

"I hope you've been having a splendid time cleaning up those rogue super villains and gangbangers running around the city. You know, the sooner you clean that mess up, the sooner your city opens back up again and I get to distribute my drug swiftly. Sort of a lose-lose situation for the good guys, am I right?" X chuckled and kept walking closer. Totally at ease even though he was outmatched as a regular human against three supers. "Though, none of you are really the good guys, right? Even Mr. Gustin has had a recent bad boy streak, kidnapping Miss Moctezuma instead of turning the villain into the authorities, blasphemy."

X loved to brag. He stopped a yard away from the trio and grinned like the Cheshire Cat. "I understand that you must've come for April. I wouldn't want to disappoint you after coming all this way, but I must inform Mr. McPhail that she is currently unavailable. So sorry."