Chapter 24

Bella
'Changes'

As the class dragged on, I found myself more so having deep and meaningful conversations with Ryan rather than actually listening to the teacher.

He was a lot more moral orientated than his friends. It was clear he had different views, morals and ethics. He was similar to me in the sense that he was open to understanding someone else's situation, he definitely was the antithesis to Jason. Thank god for that.

"Okay, this course is 65% examination and 30% course and project work-" a guy in the back of the class was quick to cut the teacher off "What's the other 5 percent?"

"Participation Mr Matthews" Mr Johnson sternly said, clearly not liking being cut off.

"Damn" Ryan muttered making me laugh.

"As I was saying. It's time for you guys to put in the effort to achieve the most in this 30%." He explained, I noticed that a lot of teachers had a tendency to just exaggerate a lot of what they preach, which I guess is their attempt to get students to feel like school and education is important, clearly failed horribly in that attempt as some people still didn't understand the actually concept of having an education.

"You are all going to pick one topic, whether it be subcultures within cultures or, Norms or Values of the school system. Anything that is one, in the student examination spec and two, is going to allow you to write more about and get the highest grade." He explained, did this mean we had to pick who we worked with because I was not friends with anyone in this class and it seemed like everyone else already had their friendships groups.

"I would like you to work with the person next to you inside or out of school on your project. Everyone take an examination sheet which includes some points you could include and also the due date. I want no excuses on why you couldn't hand it in. Good luck"

Okay. No big deal. I was just going to have to work with Ryan, best friend of the one guy I was trying to avoid, or actually who was avoiding me, because he hated me for some odd reason.

This was perfectly fine. Not. How was I supposed to work with Ryan on a project knowing what he's like, who he's friends with. Even though he was such a nice guy and not like how he was presented to be, he was still a part of them. The group everyone avoided because they were terrifying.

What was I going to do.

We both stood up, taking a sheet from the front , we kinda just walked out of the classroom together and began walking together in literally silence as we were heading in the same directions.

"If we're working on this project together, you do realise we have to talk" he spoke, his voice presenting humour.

I nervously laughed along. "Yeah... any ideas on what we can write about?" I asked him as we went down the stairs which were outside, leading to the court yard, from the distance I could see my group of friends stood waiting for me, Zak dramatically fanning himself as the sun was blazing down.

Their heads turned to look at us and I saw their jaws drop.

"I'm not sure... we should meet in our free periods to figure that out" he suggested making me nod.

As we got to the bottom of the stairs, my group of friends walked towards us. Accompanied by the one and only, Jason and his friends.

They looked just as surprised seeing Ryan with me, actually speaking to me. I could see the anger in Jason's face as he glared at Ryan, literally shooting him death glares and for what? Speaking to me?

"This is cozy" Za commented as they joined us, it literally looked like a battle. Ryan stood opposite me with all his friends behind him and all my friends stood behind me.

I avoided all contact with Jason but it was so hard not to look at him when I could literally feel his stare on me.

"Er Yeah, she sits next to me in my social studies class and we have to do a project together" Ryan explained, this was so awkward I couldn't even explain.

The boys nodded along with my friends, Jason sort of just stood there.

"Well er, I'll come find you later, to work on the project, that cool?" He was surpassingly being normal with me, I thought he'd chance when he was around his friends, especially Jason who I know told them all about me and how much he despised me.

Guys change around their friends right?

I nodded "Okay" I whispered, for some stupid reason I couldn't even speak above a whisper.

With that, Ryan gave me a small smile before he turned around and began walking away.

I looked up instantly catching eye contact with Jason who looked in to my eyes. He didn't say anything but just looked at me, as if he was figuring something out. But then he just turned around and left with his friends, and that was that.

"What have you gotten yourself in to bells" Ana said in the most worried voice ever.

"I know this sounds bad, and trust me I was crapping myself after I heard he was my partner... but maybe this is a good thing. Maybe now I can finally be seen as someone other then just the cops daughter, because clearly that's what's creeping them out making all of them literally stay away from me," I paused sighing "Especially Jason"

I hated to say it, but it was starting to bother me so much more that Jason was so angered by me, that he hated me so much and I didn't even know why. Why this bothered me, I didn't know myself but it was irritating me that I even cared.

I just didn't know why I cared so much.