Chapter One

Rumors are like tree sap. Once one gets pinned to you, it takes a hell of a lot of work to get it off. In a town like Marion, rumors are currency. The more dirt you have on someone, the more you can get out of everyone else. In a town like Marion, nothing goes unnoticed and no one goes unspoken of. And the worst part is, no one really cares if it's true or not. Once someone says it, it's like the gospel; there's no disputing it. I heard all the rumors about Peonie before I met her, and I hate to admit that I even believed some. But nothing anyone said ever bothered her. I didn't understand why, not until I met her.

Our meeting was unorthodox, which is almost an understatement. It was around 10 at night, and I was at- the local Quik Shoppe, soaking in the fluorescent lighting and linoleum flooring, sneaking looks at the owner, Rob Mattinson. He was stood behind the counter reading an American Rifleman magazine, obnoxiously chewing a nut and berry trail mix. A rumor had recently gone around that he hit his wife, and I wouldn't have put it past him. He had a strong build, which I could see since he was wearing a stained white tank top, looking like he lifted weights about five times a day, with shoulder-length brown hair that was so greasy it could fuel a forest fire for a week. He had the hard face of a man who was not afraid to wave a confederate flag even though we live in Indiana. He caught me peering at him from over the candy aisle, and his dark brown eyes narrowed in on me.

"Listen, kid, buy something or get out." He sneered. God, even his voice sounded sleazy. I quickly grabbed a pack of m&m's and a grape soda and rushed to the counter. He eyed me as he scanned my items.

"You know, I didn't beat my wife." He said, and I swallowed the lump in my throat.

"I know" I replied meekly.

"But say I did, so what? That's between me and her."

"Well, I heard she skipped town so there's a lot between you and her." A casual voice flowed from the back of the store. I whipped around to see Patrick Morgan, small strands of his platinum blond hair hanging in his eyes. He had come in the back entrance, just in time to pick up our conversation.

"Goddamn Morgan," Rob muttered, shoving my stuff back at me. "I told you to come in the front entrance!" He yelled to Patrick, who had his back turned to us as he peered into one of the freezers.

"And I told you that my father could revoke your business license." He said, keeping his back turned and slightly lifting his head to the ceiling. Patrick's father, William Morgan, was the mayor of our fine town, making Patrick and his sister Penny the closest to a celebrity you can get in Marion.

Rob grunted in dissatisfaction and his eyes met mine again.

"What are you still doing here? Scram!" He insisted, and with that, I scrammed as fast as I could. I just wanted to get out of there. But apparently, I scrammed a little too fast, because I missed the car swerving off the road and barreling towards the storefront. Unfortunately, the car definitely didn't miss me.