Epilogue

"I don't know why that pervert ghost saw it fit to destroy my pajama pants, and I don't care. Your case, your ghost, your responsibility. You owe me new pajamas, and don't you dare go telling me you got a spare pair of those too."

Once more, Naru and I were in his office as he typed away at the computer. This time, however, I had made an effort to cover any point of access Naru might take to say he didn't need to buy me something I had lost working for him. As I wasn't that big of a shopper (being poor tended to do that), and I didn't see it necessary to own more than one, I was down one pair of pajama bottoms and was feeling it. Since we often shared the same sleeping room on cases, I didn't want to have to sleep in my jeans.

Naru didn't answer at first. I allowed him to finish typing his thought, which he did, and he answered with a sigh.

"Surely you have enough to buy your own pair. Pajama bottoms aren't exactly made of gold. You could even ask Ayako for some handmedowns."

"You are so cheap! The point isn't getting the pajama bottoms, the point is you owe me some. I was on the job when they got torn to bits."

"And I was the one traumatized by a half naked girl throwing herself at me. I would think that payment enough."

He had a talent getting me to open and close my mouth like a fish. Traumatized? He saw all my legs, some cheek included, and he says he was traumatized?

Course, I had also known Naru long enough to know he was an injit when it came to being polite. But it did hurt. I hadn't thought myself completely unattractive, but still, the worry was there.

Instead of getting angry, which I knew he'd just blow off, I pouted.

"Poor you, then, getting an ugly wife."

I turned to leave, a half formed plan in my mind to buy some shaving cream the next time I was out.

"Ugh, fine."

I stopped and turned back to ask 'fine, what?', but Naru had opened a drawer in his desk and brought out one of those small, sleek little cardboard boxes you used to gift wrap clothing. He dropped it on his desk and pushed it towards me before turning back to his computer, almost sulkily.

Win. Oh lordie, an actually win! "You already got me pajama pants? Then what was the point of insulting me and all that?"

"I don't think I need to answer that."

And he didn't. He loved teasing me.

Oh, I was so buying shaving cream.

Still, I couldn't help but feel a little pleased as I used my nail to cut the scotch tape and lifted up the top half of the box.

All good feelings stopped.

Naru was very carefully typing, not too slow or too fast.

"Oliver Davis, what is this?"

"Pajamas."

Knowing I had to be blushing up a storm, I hooked a finger around a strap and pulled it up. A little baby doll styled cami-dress slumped from my finger, made of nothing but pink sheer cloth and lace. I didn't miss the matching pink thong beneath it.

"What happened to being 'traumatized' by my shorn pajama pants?"

"Just that," he said, turning his face just enough so I could see that he was laughing in one of his more common ways: all in the eyes and twitch of his lips. "Can't say it flattered the right assets."

"Meaning it didn't show them enough! You freaking perv!" I was trying very hard not to smile or flee the office in terror. This was quite new to me.

"Your fault for mentioning stripping. Honestly, it was quite irresponsible, saying such things to a man attracted to you. Which reminds me," he opened up the pen drawer and pulled out an envelope, having said everything in a casual, businesslike manner that made me learn more towards laughing. With two fingers, he tossed the envelope in my direction. I caught it and glanced at the cover.

"Um, this is addressed to you."

"I'd like you to read it."

More than a little curious, I flipped it open and pulled the folded, handwritten note within.

Oliver,

Since I think too highly of your opinion, I thought it better you should know the truth. I wasn't possessed when I came into your room. It was a last attempt on my part to make you face my feelings for you. Yes, it was in poor taste, but it was the only way I knew how. On seeing your reaction to Mai walking in and how badly it upset you, I regret doing it. Please know I would do nothing to threaten your happiness, and if Mai is what makes you happy, I will just have to accept that.

I know I've told you before, but I'm so sorry for blackmailing you all those years ago. That also was in poor taste. I think I must be cursed to always have distasteful ways to go about romance.

I hope you will forgive me. I swear any attempts to draw your attention will not happen again, so please feel free to request my assistance should you need it.

Love, Masako

I wrinkled my nose at it and mouthed 'poor taste.' Naru trying to tease me with lingerie was also in poor taste.

"Why are you showing this to me?" I asked. "It isn't like it changes much whether she was possessed or not."

"Because I wanted to. If I receive any love letters akin to it in the future, I want you to see them as well."

"Why?"

He gave me the classical 'you're an idiot' look. Guess I'd never grow out of that.

"Because I don't want you to just trust me. I want you to know so you don't have to trust me. After experiencing it for myself, I never want you to have to feel jealous ever again. Take it as my way of protecting you. Goes with the whole how I like feeding you--primal urge to kill the mammoth or however they say it." He said the last part while reading over what he wrote and making corrections. How he could do that was beyond me. If I tried reading one thing and talking about another at the same time, my brain would explode.

Dropping the lingerie into the box, I came around his desk and spun his chair so he faced me. He gave me his usual look of annoyance until I climbed onto his lap and draped my arms over his shoulders.

"Now that," I breathed. "Is sexy."

And if you have to know, after saying that, I more or less gave him the most ravishing make out session he'd had yet.