Wattpad Original
There are 7 more free parts

I

Never ask questions.

Three words every child learned. They echoed in Will Morris' head as brilliant illumination hit his eyes. The Sacred Sanctuary of the Eternal lit up the night. White domed architecture dominated the busy city square, incredible light radiating from the walls. A warm golden glow enveloped the area. If people didn't glance upon the starry night sky, they could be fooled into thinking it was daytime. The light exuded serenity to most passers-by. Known as a place of refuge in the dark world, almost none questioned the necessity of such a place.

Will Morris questioned. The shining structure summoned a great deal of uneasiness within him. He hated entering sanctuaries. He didn't like it when he was a child who unthinkingly accepted its sanctity. After embracing heresy, Will despised it.

Many hurried to the sanctuary while Will lingered outside. Sacred sanctuaries were shrines to the abstract deity of the Eternal Light. Sanctuaries were the only true haven in the world from the Dark, a strange manifestation shrouding the world. Natural light couldn't illuminate any area touched by the Dark.

Not even the sun could banish the Dark.

Will slowly made his way up the thirteen ivory stairs leading into the sanctuary. He nodded his head at a radiant woman holding up her skirts as she went down the stairs. Her joyful expression indicated that she was a true believer.

The Eternal Light banished the Dark. Sanctuaries were allegedly the first places to bring light back to the world. And gradually, as people came sincerely to worship the Eternal Light, regions of the world were illuminated. The Eternal Light made blue skies and the sun visible again. Will couldn't fault people for worshiping the only thing that protected them from the coldness of the Dark. It was said that the Light would only remain if people believed in it. Doubters would weaken the Light.

Unbelievers would bring back the Dark.

Will let out a shaky breath as he reached the top of the stairs. Large arched open doors sent more dazzling brightness into the night. The beauty overwhelmed him.

But he knew what happened to unbelievers in sanctuaries.

It was dangerous to appear reluctant to enter a sanctuary. Will forced himself through the arched doorway, stepping into the Hall of Worship. Even with the abundance of light illuminating the outside, he still needed to blink and allow his eyes to adjust to the overwhelming brightness. An eerie incandescence permeated every inch of the building. Illuminated pillars spaced out the expansive room, each positioned within a small pool of glowing water.

Small clusters of worshipers knelt beside the pools. Gentleman removed bowler hats, ladies paid no mind to their elaborate skirts becoming filthy. Golden light gave a celestial appearance to the grimy lower-class worshipers. Only Sanctuaries could unite the motley group of the scared, ignorant, and the devout. Will once belonged to the ignorant.

No more.

Will hurried to an unoccupied prayer pool. The absence of worshipers was likely due to the pool's proximity to the open door. The chilly air guaranteed privacy. Some pools were curtained off, granting the illusion of privacy. But Will couldn't risk appearing anything other than an honest worshiper.

So he knelt, doffed his hat, and bowed his head. He didn't dare look directly at the radiant pool. Peculiar containers of Eternal Light rested in the pool, adding a shining appearance to the water. The vessels—known as orbs—appeared to be made of glass. No one understood the process for storing the holy Light in the orbs and the priests weren't forthcoming.

Will concealed his fear, even as it churned wildly inside of him. False serenity slowly started seeping into him. Even the low intensity of Light trapped in orbs could cause a bewitching euphoria.