Chapter 4: Attack Plan Evaluation

Start from the beginning

"What an indigestible meal that would be," said de Brigeac.

They laughed nervously as Dollard and Claude helped Pierre stack the wood near the hearth. Suddenly, there was a noise at the door and all three men turned to face Lambert Closse.

"Gentlemen..."' said Closse. It was an order but softly couched and it was to set the tone of the discussion.

Closse returned through the door. de Belestre moved close to Dollard.

"For God's sake, don't tell him about all the money we'll make from the furs."

"What?"

"He might think it's your main objective!"

"What's the matter with making some money?"

"Nothing. Just don't make a big thing of it, will you?"

"All right," growled Dollard, as he moved into the governor's room.

There were two kinds of meetings at Montreal: the first was the usual late night tactical discussions of the day-to-day operation and defense of  the mission: how often should the guard be changed in the cold of winter; who could be entrusted with greater responsibility; who would accompany the Jesuits to the Indian missions; should the foundry prepare more shot, etc..

The other kind of meeting, the kind Dollard was to face now, dealt with critical questions, strategy rather than tactics. This was not the first time Dollard had been in one of these 'sausage grinders' but before he had been on the examining side of the meetings, asking questions of other officers who had ideas for the defense of the town.

This was to be the first time one of his own ideas was scrutinized. In the past, being one of the junior officers, he had not even had many opportunities to interrogate people since the older soldiers, such as Closse and le Moyne, had such wide experience that their questions anticipated and obviated his. But Dollard had not spent his time in these meetings idly. He had observed, listened and learned.

As Dollard entered the room, he looked around quickly. Maisonneuve was behind his desk the eight-foot fireplace on the wall to his right. Flanking the fireplace, hidden behind sliding doors, as on some ships, were two-tiers of beds, to save space and ensure warmth. Also to his right was Charles le Moyne. The empty chair on the governor's left was obviously for Closse, and two other chairs drawn alongside were for Claude de Brigeac and Pierre de Belestre. In front of Maisonneuve's desk was a table with maps and paper and in front of that a chair facing the committee, for Dollard.

It looks different from this side, thought Dollard.

The men took their places.

"Sit down please, Commander," said Maisonneuve. "As in the past, we will proceed as follows: First, Commander des Ormeaux will outline his plan; second, he will justify it on military grounds; third, we will voice our objections, if any, and pose questions; fourth, he will rebut our objections and answer our questions; fifth, we shall ask the commander to leave us while we consider the matter; and finally, we shall deliver our verdict. Agreeable, gentlemen?"

A chorus of 'Sirs' responded.

"Commander, you may proceed," said the governor, who settled back in his chair to listen.

"Governor Maisonneuve, gentlemen," began Dollard "You know the history of Montreal far better than I, and the problems attendant to the lack of a good French regiment is well known. From whatever causes, militarily we are in an untenable position."

"More than 500 people have come to Montreal since governor Maisonneuve first carried the cross up to Mount Royal in 1642. More, of course, have been born here. We are now, eighteen years later, reduced to three hundred and seventy persons, only fifty of whom are heads of families like M. Closse and M. le Moyne, and only one hundred and seventy of whom are able to fight under any circumstances."