Chapter 39: Introductions

Zira's roar of anger could be heard all throughout the Outlands. She slammed her paws onto the ground, raking the dirt with her claws in an attempt to calm herself. Kovu was startled from his slumber. His cries filled the den with concern.

Zira's pride was suddenly smacked with a tornado of tension. It swept through the Outlands, uninvited and unexpected. Zira took a deep breath after her outrage. She turned to the lioness who brought her the news.

" Are you sure, Risala?" She spoke quickly.

" Yes. It's the main topic of conversation in the Pridelands," Risala, Zira's messenger, explained.

Zira laid back down next to the wailing Kovu. He quickly quieted down at the touch of her warm fur. Zira breathed heavily as she thought things through.

She could still follow through with her plan. It was all based on the gender of the cub. If it is female, Zira could still execute her plan because in her eyes, females were weak. Simba's daughter wouldn't stand a chance against Kovu. But if Simba has a son, Kovu would have competition. It would be much more difficult for Zira to take over the kingdom.

But the gender of the cub would only affect the distant future when Kovu comes into play. No matter the gender, Zira was still going to kill Kopa. That was her main focus. She just needed to wait for the perfect opportunity.

A yawn suddenly came over Zira and she remembered how tired she was. She turned to the lioness, who had been respectfully waiting for her command.

" Keep me updated on the matter," Zira ordered.

Risala nodded and left the den. Zira put her head down to finally get some rest. The next morning, she gathered her pride for a meeting. They were all curious as to what she had to say. They hadn't had a gathering in months due to Zira's mourning.

Zira stood above her pride, grinning down at them proudly. Imani was laying down beside her, nursing Kovu. Some pride members looked confused, others weren't paying attention. Zira roared to grab everyone's focus. They all immediately made eye contact.

" I have a very special announcement to make," Zira started.

She went to Imani's side and picked up Kovu. Then, she returned to her spot and placed Kovu at her paws. Everyone stared at the whimpering cub with confusion.

" This is our future king, Kovu," Zira introduced him.

The Outlanders almost immediately burst into an uproar. The most common questions stood out.

" Where did he come from?"

" Who's idea was this?"

" What about Nuka?"

Zira was beginning to get irritated.

" Silence!" She roared.

Everyone went quiet. The only sound that could be heard was Kovu's crying. Zira looked angry now.

" I found him abandoned near a tree. I believe that my beloved Scar has blessed me with a son fit enough to be king."

Imani rolled her eyes. At that moment, Nuka walked into the scene from the night before. Zira glanced at him and frowned. Nobody else noticed the scrawny lion enter the pride.

" Nuka is not fit to be king. He is too weak and idiotic. He may be my son, but he is not our king," Zira confirmed.

Nuka looked over just in time to meet everyone's eyes. He suddenly felt embarrassed. His heart sank in his chest and a wave of heat rolled over him. He noticed Kovu at Zira's feet and glared heavily at the tiny cub.

Everyone's stares followed him until he disappeared into the den. The pride looked at Zira again and a random voice mentioned a name that pained Zira's heart.

" What about Vitani?"

Zira closed her eyes, wishing that whoever said that hadn't. She opened them again, her plan coming to mind.

" Vitani's kidnapping will not pass in vain. I may not get my daughter back, but I will get vengeance. I will teach Nala how it feels to lose a child, and instead of simply kidnapping Kopa again, I will kill him personally."

" But what about Simba and Nala? We had planned to rid them too," a random lioness asked.

Zira glared at her," I'm getting to that."

The lioness gulped. Zira looked over her pride.

" Kovu here is our savior. I will raise him to be a killer, and with his help, ridding Simba will be much easier. If Simba is gone, Nala will lose power. Unfortunately, they have a second cub on the way, but, if the cub is a girl, then my plan will work. If it's a boy, well... either way I will get revenge on Nala."

" When will this plan take affect, my Queen?" Another lioness asked.

" This plan will take affect in a few moon's time. For now, Kovu needs me," Zira answered.

At that moment, Kovu started crying. Zira took this as a cue for dismissing the pride. Everyone went back to what they were originally doing while Zira and Imani took Kovu to the den.

Zira was ready for the future.

Risala: "Messenger"