Chapter 16: Changes

Simba's leg healed within a month's time. He was able to return to his daily border-checks. Nala wasn't entirely happy about this. On the bright side Simba was back on his feet, but it also meant he was away from Kopa again.

She reminded herself of Simba's wrestling sessions with Kopa and it filled her with joy. Because of those few weeks, she felt she didn't need to pressure Simba so much into spending time with Kopa.

Nala thought of this while she waited for Simba. It was early morning, and he had gone out to do his first border patrol in weeks. Kopa was asleep beside her. Little snores of peace throttled in the prince's throat and Nala couldn't help but giggle at his cuteness.

The Queen turned her head and licked Kopa's head tuft. At that moment, Simba entered the den with two lionesses at his sides. Nala looked over at him with a relieved sigh. Nuru and Sauda had been given the job of guards. They were healthy and strong. Still young, they moved fast. Possibly two of the best lionesses in the pride.

Nuru and Sauda had been best friends since childhood, which offered them a strong sisterly bond. This gave them an advantage when it came to teamwork, whether it be hunting or attacking. They were inseparable.

Simba approached Nala without a limp. Nala grinned proudly as he nuzzled her.

" Hey, Simba? I was wondering if we could take Kopa out to the waterhole later. He could use some time outside of the den," Nala suggested.

Simba took a place beside her.

" Are you sure? It would be his first time away from the safety of Pride Rock," Simba replied.

" Yes, I'm aware of that. He's four months old, though. I think he could use some exploration. Stretch his growing legs. Besides, he'll be under our protection."

Simba quickly thought it over, and smiled at the idea.

" I think he'd love that," he finally stated.

Nala smiled with contentment and leaned into Simba, rubbing her face into his mane.

~~~

Vitani crouched behind a dead bush, a large determined grin covering her face. She growled quietly before she pounced, catching Nuka's tail tuft between her paws. Being four months old now, Vitani was smarter. Still innocent, she had the instinct of a playful cub. It was difficult for her to stay in a depressed mood.

Vitani lifted her paws to look at the black fur that covered the tip of her brother's tail. It was rough and messy. Tangled, yet still fluffy. Suddenly, Nuka jerked his tail and smacked Vitani in the face with the dirty tuft. She jumped in surprise as a burst of obnoxious laughter filled the air.

Vitani looked at Nuka, who was on his back holding his stomach. His eyes were closed and his jaw was wide open as cackles left his throat. Vitani gave him a dirty look.

" Nuka! That wasn't fair!" She whined.

Nuka rolled over onto his stomach and wiped the tears from his eyes.

" The look on your face!" He continued to laugh.

Vitani put her ears back in anger and stood tall. Nuka teased her more about her reaction to the smack. Realizing he wasn't going to stop anytime soon, Vitani turned around with an angry expression. She walked up to the den entrance and lay down. She didn't feel like going inside. Zira had already made her spend too much time in there.

At that moment, Zira came up to Vitani with a small chunk of meat in her mouth. She dropped it in front of the cub. Vitani tilted her head at the pink object in front of her. She stood and sniffed at it.

" What is this?" Vitani asked curiously.

" Food. Eat it," Zira replied sternly.

Vitani looked at Zira with disbelief. The only food she knew of was her mother's milk. This didn't look like food. Zira was growing impatient with Vitani's stalling.

" Eat it!" Zira snarled.

Vitani jumped in surprise and took the chunk without thought. She chewed and swallowed it quickly. Zira grinned crookedly. She seemed satisfied. She turned around and left Vitani confused.

If Vitani was to eat meat from now on, Zira wouldn't have to feed her milk. This brought her joy. She still had a heart full of hate for her daughter. Without her need for milk, Vitani was less dependent on Zira.

Vitani was confused as she sat in front of the den. Granted, the meat tasted amazing. But the unusual act Zira committed left Vitani baffled. The young cub decided to just shrug it off and get back to her thoughts. Soon though, she found herself drifting into a deep nap.