Coal: Chapter I

Summary: Hatake Kakashi is reborn as Katniss Everdeen's younger sister. When Katniss volunteered for Prim, Kakashi volunteered for Katniss. A Naruto and Hunger Games crossover story. AU.

Disclaimer: Naruto and Hunger Games are not mine.

Coal - Chapter I:

-----

When Solanum Everdeen realized that she was Hatake Kakashi, she was three years old.

With sweat running down her blond brows, Solanum curled into herself as numerous memories in no particular order rushed through her mind.

Of a young silver-haired boy who followed the rules and squashed down sentiment and emotions; one who ran, ran, and ran away from the memories of the past.

Of a reclusive one-eyed man who was so undeniably broken and cracked that he called himself "scum" on a daily basis as he tried to repent for his mistakes.

Solanum broke down into silent tears and gagged in disgust when the vision ended with him – her – feeling undeniable grief as a person laid against the floor with a sword in his stomach, blood pooling around him in a macabre image.

'Father,' her mind whispered.

She couldn't quite control the tortured sobs that escaped out of her mouth.

-----

Solanum was a simple girl.

She loved her family, loved her pack, loved the people she called hers.

She believed that as long as the people she loved were safe, everything was okay.

Everything was fine.

Fine.

(Even if it wasn't.)

-----

Even without the maturity that came with remembering her past life, Solanum knew there was something distinctly wrong in the society she inhabits.

The gaunt faces and the sheer scent of poverty that permeated the air practically screamed that the people in this district were struggling to survive and, as part of a family that lived in the Seam, the place where coal-miners lived and worked, this poverty was more apparent. There were times wherein she wasn't exactly starving, no. Her father tried his best, after all. But there was this persistent, nudging hunger that would tell her that it wasn't enough. The food wasn't enough to satisfy - satiate.

She could ignore that, though.

(Solanum always made sure to get the smallest portion, even as her stomach rumbles and tightens uncomfortably.)

As long as her sisters could eat more, it was enough for her.

-----

Solanum didn't really mind District 12 much. Compared to before, where she had to fight and kill for her village while all her precious people broke down to pieces, this life was good. Sometimes, she could sometimes even honestly say that she loved it with all of its flaws and mistakes.

The sooty place guarded by mountains was calming and, disregarding some of its parts, beautiful.

The wild forests near their home though, made her heart ache almost unbearably. She found it nostalgic. There were times where she just wanted to run and remember what once was. To prove to herself that she wasn't – she wasn't going crazy and her dreams weren't just a figment of her fevered mind.

Maybe, just maybe, if she went there she'll know.

Unfortunately, there was an electric fence that barred the people from exploring the place so she couldn't even if she wanted to. She asked her mother once for the reason that it was fenced off, to which her mother replied that it was to keep them safe – to keep the wild animals out.