Chapter 2| Wilmer

(Devonne's age: a year and 7 months)

It's been two years since we last heard from Demi. After Demi had Devonne on August 20, 2011, they left to finish an album Unbroken that was released in September. While Demi left to plan for album promotion and touring, I took care of Devonne. A promise I made with Demi before Dev was born. Demi even swore to me she would not throw me under the bus, as long as Dev was hidden from social media and the Press. Apparently, Demi's manager from hell Phil McIntyre caught wind of Demi's pregnancy.

Phil had me sign a non-disclosure agreement about the pregnancy and Devonne Vida. He wanted to keep Demi's life squeaky clean. Phil wanted to make sure there was no kid out of wedlock or Demi gave birth on their eighteenth birthday. All the press knew was that Demi went into rehab and dated me.

I knew what I had to do and it wasn't a problem at all. However, a few months turned into a year, which later turned into two years. This wasn't supposed to happen. Demi was supposed to return to me. Yet, here we were just the two of us.

But, I have to say the joys of being a single father are amazing. I have an amazing extended family that had been there for Devonne and me. Either when I have to go back to voice-over at Disney Studios and help prepare Devonne's food.

I have a little girl that I love so much. I knew I could not part from her when Devonne cried.

Mi Preciosa. Devonne Vida Lovato-Valderrama. Her mother would love her so much! I wonder if Demi ever thinks about Devonne. Like pause in the middle of the day and think, "I wonder how my daughter is doing? I wonder who she looks like now?" Or was Demi brainwashed and deleted Devonne Vida's memory from her mind?

A while ago, I just read Devonne a bedtime story from her bookcase and put her to bed. Devonne would say "mermaid" for The Little Mermaid book or "Shoe" for The Cinderella book. Devonne's interests are Disney Princesses, CampCamp/Camp Rock, Handy Manny, Disney movies, and Mac-N-cheese. She dislikes the flush of the toilet and loud noises.

I tried to sneak in Camp Rock 1 and 2 so Devonne could hear Demi's voice. Devonne watched it for the singing but that's it. I want to make sure Devonne knows who she is— she's a Lovato and a Valderrama. Although I'm scared when she gets older and start to ask questions.

It was the middle of the night, I heard a little faint and melodious cry. It's Devonne. She didn't cry often since she was a great baby but when she did, I knew to run immediately.

I jumped out of bed and rushed towards my daughter. Devonne was wide awake and held her teddy bear close. I kneeled next to the crib and talked to Devonne.

"Hey baby girl, are you okay? Thumbs up or thumbs down," I asked my daughter, as I looked into her puffy mahogany eyes.

Devonne gave me a single thumb down and leaned her head against my shoulder.

"Was it a nightmare?" I asked as Devonne still cried into my shoulder. I felt her tears soak my white tee shirt and her head nod against me.

"Okay. Let's get some milk in the kitchen," I said as I carried her to the kitchen.

While Dev sat in her kitchen high chair, I poured some milk for her and me. She babbled to me her nightmare and I listened well. After drinking milk, we sat on the couch and I put on the television for white noise. I listened to the news as Good Morning America aired. It's April 10th, 2013 and nothing much is on the news at 4 A.M.

"Sorry nothing is on the news Dev," I mumbled she lay against me slowly drifting back to sleep.

An hour went by and now my child was sound asleep. Robin Roberts announced, "Demi Lovato is joining us soon! She'll be singing a new song, Heart Attack, off her new album Demi."

It's her. I turned off the television immediately and walked back up to Devonne's room as she fell asleep in my arms. I laid her back into the toddler bed and walked away before seeing a photo I have of Demi and me.

"She's almost 2

"She's almost 2. You could've stopped your music and stayed here with us. But, this morning you are on Good Morning America instead of nightmare duty. Good parenting," I whispered yelled at the framed.

I ended up sitting on the rocking chair for a bit as Devonne slept and listened to instrumental music. I fell asleep there eventually.

I will forever and always take care of my daughter. No matter what. Always. She'll be there for me and I for her.
Together. Who needs a motherly figure when she has me?