10

After arriving at the school, Lance opened up Keith's car door. Keith looked up at him, smiling and mumbling a quick thank you.

Lance grabbed Keith's trembling hand. Passing the posters as they wandered the hallway. The Cuban boy could tell that Keith was anxious to enter the gym, and he couldn't blame him, considering most dances were far too crowded for comfort. Grinding teens and spiked punch were bound to be littering the gymnasium. Lance would have felt just as serendipitous on the couch watching a movie with Keith, but if this was what Keith wanted to do, he was happy to comply. Lance rubbed circles on Keith's knuckles, sparing him a smile before looking back ahead.

Keith kind of felt like he was dying, which wouldn't be surprising if he were. This was a new experience, one which he hadn't taken if Pidge hadn't been so persistent on his lack of a social life. She insisted that he had to put himself out there, saying it was what would get the attention of cute guys. Which in theory, the gremlin was correct, and it did get at least one cute guy's attention. Keith felt like his heart was constricting, he was not only going to a dance with a guy he liked, but also holding hands with him.

"Should we head in then?" Lance asked, analyzing Keith's expressions carefully. He wasn't about to force Keith in there, not with his social anxiety.

"I guess so." Came Keith's response. Keith felt his hands trembling, maybe his skeleton is ready to hatch. He never understood why Pidge would say that, It was clearly because he was anxious, but it did usually feel like it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if he fell apart on the spot.

"We don't have to do this if you don't want to."

"I-I want to. Let's go." Lance didn't buy it for one second, but if Keith was this persistent, he wasn't going to fight him. Maybe they could go to McDonalds afterwards, given that the dance would only last until Eight.

They didn't manage to stay until Eight.

It was sort of freaking inevitable that Keith would panic, but this was bad. The music was obnoxiously loud, the lights were dark, yet colorful, and the vast sea of people flooded every nook and cranny.

Lance could tell that Keith was anxious, everything was shaking, even his eyes. So he did what any good sort-of-boyfriend would do, and he pulled Keith right out of there. So they sat in the hall, feeling the base shake the floor beneath them. They stayed quiet.

"We can do something else if you want." Lance suggested.

"I'd hate to ruin your night, you can go back." Keith sighed.

"No way, Josè. I'm staying with you tonight, now come on, we're going out to eat." Keith was taken aback; he thought surely that Lance would want to leave him.

Lance pushed himself off the floor, giving Keith his hand as well.