▼Chapter Five - Close Call.

Picture: Jess.

Chapter Five.

I stared at Jess, as her eyes widened and her jaw dropped.

"Ava!? What is this some joke?" she answered back harshly.

"Gee, thanks. Some best friend you are." I replied, slightly hurt by her comment.

"No, it's just that you're...different. I LIKE IT!" she gave me her cute smile, pulling me forward, and linked her arm through mine and tugged me closer. "So, now that you're giving looking 'girly' a chance, why don't we go shopping after school? And then we can go to a party, and the beach, and do all the things you always hated to do because you were scared of people's opinions of you."

I gave her my 'look', and she knows what my look means. "Erm, one thing at a time. I'm still not used to all this...attention." I whispered and made a gesture with my eyes to the people staring and whispering to one another.

"Hmph, the girls are just jealous and the guys are just horny. Ignore them, the people that were horrible to you don't deserve a chance." she said giving a group of guys a glare.

I looked over and saw that it was the guys on the basketball team. I'm not being cliché or anything, but since I like playing basketball I would always play with them. I guess they didn't like the fact that I'm better than most of them, probably matching skills with their captain. So they made fun of my looks, since they really can't make fun of my skills. I never let that get me down though.

Since the girls play netball instead of basketball, I had no choice most of the time, and the boys would just gang up on me. Instead of playing even numbers, they would group it so it's all of them against me. Our college has one of the very few teams with a female on it, but I didn't really play. I was just a stand-in, which didn't seem to make it fair. Jess gave me a hug and we parted ways and made her way towards the art building, whilst I made my way to the sports centre.

I went straight to my locker to get my spare clothes. I quickly got changed and went to the restroom to tie up my hair, where I tied my now sleek hair into a messy ponytail. I frowned slightly when I lifted my arms. The shirt rode up when I lifted  them, my top going higher than my belly button, revealing my tan, flat stomach. It also didn't help since my sports bra was uncomfortably tight; I need to remember to ask Jess to come with me to buy new underwear. Blushing at the thought I tried my best to pull my shorts lower since they too feel like they have shrunk.

I jogged to the center of the hall and began my stretches, I felt my hamstring tense as I put more of my weight on it, and switching legs I did it with the other. Then I stretched my arms and leaned to the side bringing my arms over my head earning my basketball shirt to ride up again, frustrated I pulled my shirt harder when I heard a rip and the seam on the shoulder split which released one of the shoulders and revealing my sports bra. I heard a cough behind me, twisting around I saw the big player of our school Aiden smirking at me. I gave him a glare and his smirked just widened.

"It's obvious that you need a new shirt," he stated calmly. The fact that he was always judging me and all of sudden he wasn't being nasty to me then just irritated me.

"Well done, Captain Obvious." I snapped back.

He came closer, placing his broad hands on my shoulder. I was about to ask him what he was doing, and tell him that he could get his hands off me, when he said: "There that should hold until practice is over. By the way, Ava, you're looking fine today." he gave me a wink and made his way back to the group.

I couldn't help but be shocked at this. He knew it was me? Or was it because he saw me with Jess earlier and put two and two together? I jogged over to the group to see if we could get started, and when I reached them, they just looked at me and huddled closer, leaving me out of the circle. I didn't know what was going on, and decided to just get a ball and practice myself. I guess some things never change. My thoughts was disturbed when I heard one of the guys protest out loud,

"Dude, you're always complaining when you're on her team, so it's fair that you're not on it now!" the guy had jet black hair and I think he was Aiden's best friend. Aaron, I think that was his name. We didn't really get along, well, since I was better than him. Aaron saw me and waved, ducking and going back in the huddle.

I smiled to myself, I knew what was going on. I gave a small run to the hoop and jumped to shoot, but something unexpected happened when I found myself rising higher than when I usually jump. I felt freer now, and easily jumped to the hoop and slam dunked the ball. A round of applause came from behind me when I let go off the hoop, landing soundlessly to the ground. The guys rushed towards me and gathered around me.

"Wow, didn't know you could jump that high, Ava!" one of the guys said.

I smiled at them and threw the ball hard at Aiden. "Are you ready to get your ass kicked?" I asked him, sick of all their talking. I wanted this game to start.

He threw the ball back at me and his face was serious, "Oh, it's on!"

--

My team won, since it was fairer now because it wasn't me against the whole team. I decided to take a shower and ended up late for my next class, as I put my clothes on something stirred in my stomach. I ignored the feeling, quickly pulling everything on and headed to me next class, which was Biology. Power walking down the empty corridor, I felt someone tug my arm, the sudden force made my head feel light and my vision blurred. A survival instinct kicked in the pit of my stomach when I smelt the sweet aroma of life; the scent was so tempting that I began to salivate in hunger.

Turning, I saw a pair of teal eyes looking down at me. His black hair gave away his identity, Aaron was holding me close to him. He leaned closer to me, and as I took in his scent, my throat gave a low growl and pulled him closer as the need to feed took over me. His lips touched mine, gently. At first, I didn't feel a thing, but then gold swirls danced behind my eyelids when I slid them closed, warmth spread through my cold body, and my hunger started to fade. I took the kiss to the next level, deepening it every time warmth entered me. 'NO!' Eliza's voice erupted my mind. My eyes snapped open, and I saw Aaron, looking white as a sheet. I pulled my lips off him, and instantly the colour was restored to his skin. His eyes were glazed with something I couldn't quite see, but it seemed like he was high on drugs.

His fingers touched his lips, then his hands fell to his sides. I watched as he stumbled past me, and whispered in my ear, "See you again, Ava," Leaving me watching him as he stumbled drunkenly out of the corridor.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sorry guys I've been busy.... Sorry if somethings don't make sense I wrote this in my textiles class ^___^ Love you guys for taking your time to read this THANXIESS X -z

i got bored halfway between editing this. x_x sorry if half of it sounds stupid. -h